• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Advice Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarthJonny

So first things first. Woot first post!

I'm building a custom server PC in a first generation Xbox case. So room inside is limited.

What I'm looking for is any guides for shortening the cables. Such as the 24 pin and 8 pin cables.

Also I don't need either of the 6 pin cables. I know the PSU can function without them, I'm just wondering where the best place to cut them off would be. (I was thinking right at the board.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How about a full modular PSU to start so you don't have any cables you don't need. Also, as far as shortening the cables, it's a pretty easy job. Start by deciding how long you want them, mark it. You're going to want new pins and crimps unless you are a monster solderer. Make sure you label each of the cables so that you don't connect the wrong cables. Remove the plastic sleeve from the place it's getting cut then proceed to cutting the cables where appropriate. Crimp the cables back together and then I would recommend new sleeving which can be bought online and some shrink tube.

I am not responsible for any damage done as this is just advice.

Back