• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA775 upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and want to look at all components for bang for the buck improvement.

I have a pentium 820d that'll hit 3.5ghz 14x250 with moderate temperatures, I've got it down to 3.1ghz now to keep the memory up at 450 while not pushing the cpu to hard.

The reason I want to upgrade is for gaming purposes. Is there a different cpu that'll offer me significant improvements for gaming?

current system
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Pentium 820d
ati x1900xt
4gb ram
500gb sataII hdd

my current idea is get a new gpu and ssd but I'll take anything into consideration. Maybe even water cooling to get more out of the cpu? only problem with that is my northbridge is running a little warm so i'm weary of pushing it very hard.

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and want to look at all components for bang for the buck improvement.

I have a pentium 820d that'll hit 3.5ghz 14x250 with moderate temperatures, I've got it down to 3.1ghz now to keep the memory up at 450 while not pushing the cpu to hard.

The reason I want to upgrade is for gaming purposes. Is there a different cpu that'll offer me significant improvements for gaming?

current system
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Pentium 820d
ati x1900xt
4gb ram
500gb sataII hdd

my current idea is get a new gpu and ssd but I'll take anything into consideration. Maybe even water cooling to get more out of the cpu? only problem with that is my northbridge is running a little warm so i'm weary of pushing it very hard.

youl see more gains from a new cpu than spending the money from a watercooling system

how much are you looking to spend?

You could toss a decent quad 775 and a mid range gpu into that system for about $180. However you will definitely be looking at a used 775 chip since retail chips are pretty rare, the best I could find was a e6600 on Newegg.

Back