• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget gaming build for D3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
Doing a budget gaming build for my girlfriend, specifically designing it to run Diablo 3 at maximum settings smoothly and nothing else. No need for hardware capable of running BF3 or any such.

I'm looking for the cheapest (ATI or nVidia, though I PREFER nVidia) graphics card that will run Diablo 3 on maximum detail settings at 1680x1050. I have an EVGA GTS 250 laying around but I'm pretty sure that's not going to cut it at all.

Trying to get this thing built before the 15th as a surprise.

~FA

I think the Radeon HD 6850 (6870 for sure) should handle that game on max settings. These cards, especially the 6870, are much much better than the "recommended" card. You could get the GTX 560 TI for an Nvidia solution.

Keep in mind I want the card to be ever so slightly overkill for the game so that there is absolutely no stuttering even in intensive scenes. Still confident with the 6850?

~FA

well ive played nfs the run with dx11 ultra settings 1920x1080p i was getting 30-45fps with vsync etc. . .
by overkill do you mean like dx11 with 200fps ?

and i am using 6850 at stock voltage overclocked @ 950x1150 with stock cooler / max oc i got was 1150mhz/1150mhz 1.26v. imagine if i got a better ambient temp. "i live in abu dhabi u.a.e"

My buddy runs the D3 beta at max with an HD6870 at 1920x1200, so I'd expect the HD6850 to handle max settings at 1680x1050.

Well, no. I mean it's Diablo 3. All I need is for it to be completely fluid 100% of the time even with lots of monsters and spells going on. Given you ran NFS at that resolution and settings I'd imagine I'd be more than good with 6850.

~FA

::EDIT:: Thanks Matt, first hand knowledge is what I was looking for.

games i tried.
crysis 2 / fear 3 / nfs the run / black light / deus ex / prototype / mass effect 2 / splinter cell conviction etc etc etc.
all on max settings no problems.
to add up : the radeon pro tool of ati is soooo dope

I just ran the D3 Beta with my Radeon 6870 at 1080P with everything in the beta at max and I was getting 60FPS smooth as butter thanks to VSync. Thats on the 9550 at 3.6GHz with 8 gigs ram.

The 6850 should have no problems with D3. Pair it with a G850 and a cheap MB (depending on how cheap you want to go) and you should be golden. I know that in games my G850 system with a Geforce 560 is within 10% performance of my Q9550 with the Radeon 6870 normally.

Back