• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worried about temperature any advice (fx8150)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nomis78

hey guys so, i built myself a new rig (some might remember i came by a few weeks ago asking about amd v intel.) a nice little runner if i say so myself.

now the problem im having is concerning the tempreture.

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the processor, being under the impression that since this is the one that they package with the processor it should be enough right :bang head

well, im now wondering if my tempretures are ok, i tried to rip an episode from DVD for me to put on my iphone for a trip i have coming up using hand brake (so chosen since a) its free and b) its able to handle multiple cores) and what i found was that the system got very loud, fast forward a few minutes and i get a tempreture warning, immediately shut the system down, pulled the hard drives and booted into the bios so the fans could cool the CPU down.

Got her below 45* and shut the system down for an our to finish cooling.

Booted the system back up, started CPUID, the thermal radar software and tried again, this time monitoring the system tempretures closely, they immediately rose, and sharply, into the mid fifties then crept up. I let it run thinking that would be ok and then it hit 60, in the next few minutes it rose to 62 very slowly (took maybe 5 minutes to go up 2 degrees) the whole time the CPU fan is getting faster and faster.

after a couple minutes at 62 seeing there was 75% complete on a 23 minute conversion i killed conversion worried what prolonged periods at this tempreture could cause and manually cranked the CPU fan and the single motherboard controled chassis fan up to 80 and 75% speds respectively (the case is a thermaltake level 10 GT with all fans set on high while this was happening)

so heres my concern/question, is my system running worryingly high? if so, what can i do? (preferably without going down the water cooling route or moving the case since that really isnt an option due to space limitation)

ive attached the CPU ID readout and if it would be usefull i can get screens of the thermal radar readouts.

(for notes, cpu id was running from about 3/4 minutes after boot completed so the lowest temp is pretty much idle temp immediately after boot and highest is while the conversion was running, that said the figuresseen in the value column here pretty much reflect what i see if i boot CPU ID when the system has been running a little (maybe 1/2 degress above as its after i bolstered the fans to cool it back down) the figures match with what the thermal radar was reporting also)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 460
You need a better cooler ASAP. You probably got one of the high leakage chips like I did.

May I advise a Noctua D14 or the H100?

I don't have much experience with the stock cooler but the temps seem a bit high to me, perhaps try reseating the cooler.

The stock cooler can't handle the heat load of the bad bulldozer chips. Try what logan said, but don't get your hopes up. You probably got stuck with one of the hot ones.

sorry what do you mean high leakage?

and how will i know if my chip is defective i should still be covered by uk consumer law to have it replaced if the chips faulty?

(also water cooling isnt really an option i want to ake as i really dont feel confident putting liquid inside my system

sorry what do you mean high leakage?

and how will i know if my chip is defective i should still be covered by uk consumer law to have it replaced if the chips faulty?

(also water cooling isnt really an option i want to ake as i really dont feel confident putting liquid inside my system

Run CPU-Z, goto about tab and save report as txt. Open the txt and look for line FID 0xF - VID 0x16 - IDD 12 (15.50x - 1.XXX V). What voltage does it say?

Also try to run at case panel open to rule out bad airflow.

Last edited:
ok so if i have done this right it should be the last few lines of this section i think but ill copy the full section just to be safe

EDIT: also this was done while the system was otherwise does that matter?

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 8 (max 8)
Number of threads 8 (max 8)
Name AMD FX-8150
Codename Zambezi
Specification AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
Package Socket AM3+ (942)
CPUID F.1.2
Extended CPUID 15.1
Core Stepping OR-B2
Technology 32 nm
TDP Limit 124 Watts
Core Speed 2423.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 10.5 x 230.8 MHz
Stock frequency 3600 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, XOP
L1 Data cache 8 x 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 4 x 2048 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache 8 MBytes, 64-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
Min FID 7.0x
# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0B - IDD 18 (21.00x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x17 - VID 0x0B - IDD 18 (19.50x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x14 - VID 0x14 - IDD 12 (18.00x - 1.300 V)
P-State FID 0x11 - VID 0x1A - IDD 11 (16.50x - 1.225 V)
P-State FID 0xB - VID 0x25 - IDD 8 (13.50x - 1.087 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x2F - IDD 7 (10.50x - 0.962 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x37 - IDD 5 (7.00x - 0.862 V)

I should point out also that mine is the black edition as found here:
http://www.dabs.com/products/amd-fx-8150-am3--3-6ghz-16mb-125w-7R44.html?src=3

Your VID is 1.300V. Someone else could know better that was it better if thats high or other way around.

ehm normally there goes a cooler with the Fx 81xx series that is better than stock.. however dont be afraid of watercooling mate the water these days cant short circuit ur system unless you pollute the water with metallic objects since they have been purified for all conducting material.. however there is still some "okay" air coolers for ur cpu out there but if you wanna clock seriously Water cooling is the way :)

oh and the reason the 8cores get hot is.. not some rubbish leakage.. its 8cores damnit ofc its hot as hell! clocking potential!, and the shown voltage is normal for stock clocks

Back