• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Disks and RAM Speed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

If I were to set up a 4GB RAM disk to put the programs I use most on it (Spotify, Skype, KVIRC, that kind of thing), would I see a large difference in speed between 1333MHz and 1600MHz on my RAM?

Also, would it be worth picking up, say, two more 4GB RAM sticks and making myself a 12GB RAMdisk (or some amount - maybe 2x8GB), rather than an SSD? I rarely ever reboot my computer, so boot times aren't a problem, and I really only need 10GB~ or so.

I'd have games like TF2, where load speed can matter, and my everyday programs on it - I wouldn't need more than one or two games on it, and everything else is small.

You probably won't see much of a difference. RAM will be much faster than any disk, but faster RAM likely won't be noticeably faster than slower RAM - there are other factors that will cause a bottleneck, since just about any speed of RAM will be 'fast enough' for a RAM disk.

Keep in mind that everytime you reboot you'll wipe the RAM disk unless you have some kind of copy-to-disk mechanism in place. For a 10GB disk that means 10GB of copying when you start or shutdown.

I don't think it's worth the hassle, personally. I've messed around with it before. Probably best to get an SSD if you don't have one already.

I reboot maybe once a week. I can live to do that overnight. I'll think about it.

I have 16gb of mushkin 1600mhz 7-7-7-24 on my i7 main rig. I usually run a 8gb disk for chrome cache, temporary files, and occasionally for video editing. Crystaldiskmark scores for this disk is ~9000mb/s read/writes.
I have 6gb of Samsung 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 in my i7 laptop. I regularly have a 2gb disk on this system for chrome cache and temporary files.
Crystaldiskmark scores are ~3500mb/s reads and ~4200mb/s writes.
My patriot wildfire ssd has Abt 500mb/s read and 420mb/s writes.
I can honestly never notice any difference between any of them, even when I try. So I recommend getting 16gb of whatever fits your budget best. the performance will be there no matter.

Back