• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI Invitation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

What:
The Great Chimp Challenge Team Folding Race - a partially handicapped race, for Folding@Home.

When:
May 15th, Noon through May 25th, Noon. All dates and times are Pacific Daylight Savings Time (gmt - 7 hours)

Purpose:
Fun, and an increased exposure for Folding@Home. If you have a friend (or ten!), with a strong computer, (or ten!), ask them to join us!

:clap: You're Invited! :clap:

If You Want to Race, It's Easy:

Download the new V7 folding client: (for OSX it's V6)
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Click on the "Windows" button. Save the installer, and run it. It's too easy! (at last!) :clap: If you need more detailed help, post up. Happy to help. This installer is similar to most other Windows installers.

Post up your name, in a reply to this thread, and I'll have a passkey for the race, PM'd to you. If you don't get THIS passkey, you WILL be missing out on a lot of points. (Yes, we're keeping it "hidden", for the time being. Please don't post the passkey in the open.

Our team number is 32

The racing website address will be posted when it's finished. It's under construction, atm.

Keep an eye on your temps. A clean and cool folding rig, is a happy folding rig. :D

Please come join us in the folding forum. This is THE big event of the folding year, and everyone is :welcome:

The new look of the Folding @ Home client:

V7GUI.PNG

CC_Sizes of Teams.PNG

Last edited:
Radeon based gpu's are optimized for integers, and F@Home works with molecules and atoms, based on floating point data. So they're not optimal.

But everything adds up: every cpu, every gpu. We're going up against some much bigger teams, and naturally, they're recruiting also. The race is handicapped, but not fully, so we've got our work cut out for us.

Are you in?

#52 would be proud! :D

Last edited:
10 days sure count me in what does it take to set up, I can sacrifice my bitcoin mining for a few days :D

10 days sure count me in what does it take to set up, I can sacrifice my bitcoin mining for a few days :D

The race starts at Noon on the 15th, so you've got time to mine your coins for awhile.

I'll PM you the race passkey in case you don't have it already. This is VERY important to use:

1) Click on the "Finish" button. The status for the slots should all be changed to Finish, instead of "Running".

2) Let the current work units finish folding and go back. No new work units will download.

3) Click on the "Configure" tab in the upper left hand corner. Click on the "identity" tab.

4) Delete anything in the two rows labeled "passkey" and "reenter". Paste the race passkey into these two lines.

5) In the lower right hand corner, click on the "Save" button.

6) Click on the red X for that identity page - and you'll be back in the main page again, with the race passkey installed.

On the 14th of May, start folding, because we need to be up to full speed by the 15th, at Noon!

Thanks!

I'm adding your name to the new list of racers in the folding forum.

Seeing as I have my exams during this time my desktop is mostly unused. I probably won't fold 24/7 but I could easily do 6-12 hours per day or more (electricity is expensive here in the UK!). So Nvidia GPUs work well for this? Will be using a GTX680

Last edited:
Your desktop looks to be a rock star folder!

There WAS an issue in the resource file for the 680's handling by our folding client. I know it's been partially worked out - maybe all worked out. Let me finish reading that, and I'll get back to you.

Here we go:

Download and save the Windows installer, from here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

After it's fully downloaded, run it.

D/l and save the gpu resource file, in the same directory as the V7 client program:

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-re...ublic/GPUs.txt

And restart the client.

The 680 will fold similar to a 580, until the cores that actually fold, are updated to take advantage of the 680's enhanced hardware. That's still VERY good!

Discussed in this thread:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704398

Note that the folding client is also available for several distro's of Linux, and OSX (still on V6), but the Windows version of the V7 is the most polished.

I will PM you the secret passkey.

Last edited:
I could pause my seti for a while and fold. I could use my laptop almost 24/7 and my i7-2600k desktop at night when Im asleep. that should help a lot. Maybe I could even talk my roommate into doing it as well on his i5-2500k GT520 2gig vid build.

Watch your temps on the laptop. F@Home is very efficient, and some laptops can't handle the heat they generate.

The desktop and your roommates PC's should be good folders! :D

The race has officially started!!

Come join us on board the USS Poo Flinger and help bring glory to the forum. At the moment we even have a shot at defeating EVGA but we need more help :thup:

Great to have you with is Reaper! :clap:

All the info you need can be found here in the Race Info Thread. What hardware will you be bringing with you?

@Reaper16

To enter the race, you need to use the

racing team name: T32monkeys (all case sensitive)

the team number: 32

and the passkey: 3311d92fd7ee331bd66dfe6eea01708b

Thanks for supporting us!

We look forward to reciprocating, when the race is over.

After a small delay in dry dock we're officially launching the USS Poo Flinger :D

Her first mission will be defending any last minute surge from OCN and also to persuade any people
thinking of slacking off early that it might not be in their best interests.

So all aboard and prepare for the final battle!!!

USS%20Poo%20Flinger2.jpg

Back