Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

GA - Z77X - UD3H vs UD5H - Someone convince me that the UD5H is not worth it.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 04:16 AM Thread Starter   #1
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

GA - Z77X - UD3H vs UD5H - Someone convince me that the UD5H is not worth it.

Dear OCers,

Title says it all.

I am looking at Z77 boards, since ASR hasn't still answered my prayers and hasn't replied my TSD email with a fix for the D6 error I'm facing, and I need my i5 running ASAP.

So, I decided not to buy another ASR, at least until the Tech Support Department replies my prayers, (funny though, the system died a week after the warranty expired, but, I do have at least another year of warranty (minimum 2 years, Spanish law)).

I do not like the look of ASUS boards (I'd rather not have anything blue, prefer my black-white-silver-gold color scheme), plus they're way more expensive than their Gigabyte counterparts, so I discarded them. The only board that may look interesting is the Sabertooth. But that's another story.

Neither do I like the MSi boards. For me, they're a no-go since I had AM3 boards' VRMs die in fire. Literally. With underclocking. Sounds cool, heh?

So that forces me to buy something from Ming-Hsiun Liu's storage-named company. I spent a lot of time comparing boards, and I managed to reduce my choices to the UD3H and the UD5H. The UD5H only has these pros over the UD3H: dual Gigabit Ethernet (Atheros+Intel), ALC898 sound card, and more USB3.0 ports. None of them are of any use to me (already have a Gigabit CT card, a Bravura 7.1 sound card, and I only have a USB 3.0 peripheral, a thumb drive). Plus, there's a con, the UD5H lacks a PS/2 port. I like my NKRO 6Gv2. And it needs PS/2. So, it's almost clear, huh?

Well, here comes my dilemma. You read about my fear of pyromaniac VRMs. And look at the photos of the UD3H and the UD5H. What's the clearest difference? The UD5H has one more heatsink on the VRMs.

I do know that I can always get a heatsink and some thermal paste and stick a heatsink there. But, I don't know. That scares me. Anyone has any experience with the UD3H?

Thanks!
A fellow OCer, Txus.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 05-03-12, 05:58 AM   #2
bmwbaxter
Premium Member #5

Unless you are going sub zero the VRM's shouldn't be an issue. Even then I have seen people doing it no problem.
bmwbaxter is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-03-12, 11:17 AM   #3
Danny54
Registered

I'm also considering the Z77X UD3H. My current board which is a 2009 Gigabyte uses Realtek ALC898 and I'm very happy with the sound quality, yet Realtek is only on the more expensive UD5H. So my question is, if I buy the UD3H will I notice much difference in sound quality with the VIA VT2021 codec/High Definition Audio, is it good or rubbish by comparison or nothing much in it?

4 x AC Ryan Blackfire 4 UV-LED blue, blue-green & blue-orange/Sharkoon 'golfball' silent eagle 2000*Windows 7 x64
Danny54 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-03-12, 11:31 AM   #4
ivanlabrie

I like the new sniper m3 z77 board...but that's just me xD
I'd go for the ud3h, can't really justify the extra expense for the d5h...Only if you have budget concerns though, if not, be my guest!
ivanlabrie is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-03-12, 01:27 PM Thread Starter   #5
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Aight, I'll get the Z77X-UD3H if I can't get ASR to repair my board. Anyway, will send it to RMA (Spanish law, 2 years, everything).

Personally, I do not like the Sniper series. Too expensive. Instead of getting a Sniper, I'd get an EVGA FTW or an ASUS ROG.

Also considering now the Sabertooth... too sexy...

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
Old 05-03-12, 03:49 PM   #6
stevenb

I have both boards, IMO save the money unless you need the connectivity, the UD3H's 6 phases are plenty, as they can each output 50A compared to about 30A on the UD5H. FYI most boards wont do more than 30A per phase.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...01#post7180101
stevenb is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-03-12, 04:18 PM   #7
ivanlabrie

Old 05-04-12, 01:51 AM   #8
dlthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by txus.palacios View Post
Dear OCers,

Well, here comes my dilemma. You read about my fear of pyromaniac VRMs. And look at the photos of the UD3H and the UD5H. What's the clearest difference? The UD5H has one more heatsink on the VRMs.
The VRM differences between the UD3H and UD5H are deeper than that- the UD3H is only 6-phase, while the UD5H is 12-phase.

And as you've already noticed, I'm not sure why they have decided to leave off one of the Mosfet coolers. I guess you could always add your own...

for your extra money, you also get more 6gbps SATA connectors, Firewire, and a second Gigabit ethernet port. Oh and the marginally better audio codec.
None of which you care about for overclocking, of course!

but the 12-phase VRM is a draw for me.
dlthe is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 09:46 AM Thread Starter   #9
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlabrie View Post
I am not a big fan of the mATX boards, and, if I were to take a premium mATX board, I'd take the MVG no doubt.

Also, I require the slot separation between graphics to be of 3 slots.

Old 05-06-12, 11:11 PM   #10
stevenb

you really don't need the extra phases man, I have both boards, both max out my 3770K at 5.3ghyz and can do 4.8ghz 24/7 without issue. Both can also do LN2 without issue upto 6.6ghz.

The VRM on the UD3H really is extremely powerful for only 6 phases, the UD5H might let you sleep better at night.
stevenb is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-07-12, 11:54 AM   #11
KillrBuckeye

I was also debating between the UD3H and UD5H a few days ago. Ultimately I decided to go with the UD5H because of the better on-board audio and additional internal I/O connectors (UD3H has 6 SATA connectors, whereas the UD5H has 9). In the past I have regretted my decision to go with cheaper motherboards with fewer connectors. My Abit IP35-E, for example, only has 4 SATA ports. Within a couple of years after purchasing it I found myself looking at SATA add-in cards! Spending the extra $30 on the UD5H gives me more peace of mind in this regard.

Scarlet: i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (1.19V), Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, 16GB (2x8GB) GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, eVGA 8800GT, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, WD 750GB Black, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB, SB Audigy 2, Corsair 450VX, Dell 2005FPW + ASUS VH226H, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Gray: Q6600 G0 @ 3.4 GHz (378*9, 1.31V), Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400, HD 5450, OCZ Agility 60GB SSD, Corsair CX500

http://www.killrbuckeye.com
KillrBuckeye is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-07-12, 12:25 PM Thread Starter   #12
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

I am almost convinced to get the Z77 Sabertooth. I completely love the aesthetics, and the 5 year warranty really pays for itself, I think.

I don't really use that many S-ATA ports. Rocking a NAS. I only have an SSD, an ODD (that will eventually get sold to buy an external ODD for the little use I give it or eventually go USB controller way), a 1TB HDD, and a backup drive.

And as far as connectors is concerned, I only need two frontal USB 3 ports, and 4 back USB 2 ports. Of course, I also need a RJ45 jack.

EDIT: Ended up pulling the trigger on the UD5H. I've seen like 4-5 OCF users with GA-Z77X-UDxH boards, and they can't all be wrong.

Last edited by txus.palacios; 05-07-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 10:23 AM   #13
chawks2
Premium Member #1

Quote:
EDIT: Ended up pulling the trigger on the UD5H. I've seen like 4-5 OCF users with GA-Z77X-UDxH boards, and they can't all be wrong.
Depends on how you define, "wrong".

I'm jumping in bed with Gigabyte (UD5) for the first time since 2001.

"The only solid piece of scientific truth about which I feel totally confident is that we are profoundly ignorant about nature...It is this sudden confrontation with the depth and scope of ignorance that represents the most significant contribution of 20th century science to the human intellect."
-Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail

"The best definition we have found for civilization is that civilized man does what is best for all, the savage does what is best for himself."
-Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T
MarioKart FID-0774-5798-8330
chawks2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-12, 11:45 AM   #14
Electroneng
Registered

I went with the UD5H because of the competitive pricing, 12 Phase VRM, and the additional heatsink on the mosfets. It has been a solid board so far! Worked well with my 2500K and now my 3570K. Gigabyte's boot loop issues with the P67 and Z68 boards are gone with the Ivy chip.

Overclock.net Hwbot Team
Electroneng is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-12, 02:00 AM Thread Starter   #15
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

OK. Bad news and good news.

Bad news is that the e-tailer I buy things from does not expect to receive the UD5H any time soon, distributor is having somekind of problem.

Good news is I'm glad he's a friend of mine and agreed to replace the board with another one. The only one they expect to receive anytime soon is ROG Maximus V Gene. So, I guess I'll end up with the Gene and just buy a dual EK bridge. It seems to be a superb board for Z77, and, including the new SLi FC bridge, it'll end up being cheaper, too. LOL.

Now I just need ATLAS, the distributor, to say he doesn't expect the MVG neither. And then, someone's head will roll. Hehe. I just want to get my i5 computer up asap!! Q_Q

Old 05-11-12, 12:20 PM   #16
Electroneng
Registered

Quote:
OK. Bad news and good news.

Bad news is that the e-tailer I buy things from does not expect to receive the UD5H any time soon, distributor is having somekind of problem.

Good news is I'm glad he's a friend of mine and agreed to replace the board with another one. The only one they expect to receive anytime soon is ROG Maximus V Gene. So, I guess I'll end up with the Gene and just buy a dual EK bridge. It seems to be a superb board for Z77, and, including the new SLi FC bridge, it'll end up being cheaper, too. LOL.

Now I just need ATLAS, the distributor, to say he doesn't expect the MVG neither. And then, someone's head will roll. Hehe. I just want to get my i5 computer up asap!! Q_Q
Since you are on water, you will be OK with that Gene and it is a fine board! The Gene does not accommodate large CPU heat sinks very well as they tend to make the no. 1 Pcie slot unusable.

Overclock.net Hwbot Team
Electroneng is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-12, 03:23 PM Thread Starter   #17
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Yup. No problems with heatsink clearance since '10.

And, great news!!! They just confirmed they'll receive it NEXT WEEK! Woot!

It will end up being 220 EUR because I need to order the dual slot SLi bridge, but, well. I think I will eventually go microATX and thereby use that dual slot SLi bridge a lot. Anyway, no problems!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards