• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Imaging SSD array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aphellyon

I recently did a fresh win7 install to my RAID0 SSD array and want to image it after i've done all the OS/driver updates. Will Windows Imager work well for this? From what I can tell, it's a file based imager that will automatically take care of alignment. I also have the free WD version of Acronis... would this perhaps work better?

Also, I was curious about putting two different SSDs in RAID. I currently have a couple of vertex 2s... but one failed recently and I may end up RMA'n it if it fails again. If so, they'll probably send me an Agility 3 or something to replace it. Would running a V2 and an agility3 in RAID0 be problematic? They both have sandforce controllers... but the firmware and drive specs are quite different.

I can't answer your imaging question directly, but any SSD-aware program should align it properly.

It is generally a bad idea to put two different drives in RAID together. While it will probably work, you would likely see degraded performance as you will constantly be waiting for one of the drives. This may or may not be noticeable to you. Personally, I would avoid it at any cost.

I did the backup with windows imager... everything seems to be cool. Acronis probably would have worked as well, but I think cloning a drive requires a dedicated partition to store the image on and I didn't feel like partitioning my existing backup array.

Yea, I didn't think RAIDing SSDs that different would be a good idea. Oh well, if I end up having to RMA, maybe I'll try it out just to test it. If speeds are low, or the system's unstable, I'll prolly just sell them both and buy one large non-OCZ SSD and call it a day.

Back