• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does it take to get an 8120 over 5Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Should do it, since high end air will do well int oteh high 4's/

Are you asking just for benching?

Fiance has been bitching that she hates her Imac so i was thinking about another system that i could also play with.

990FX Biostar board is only 114 on newegg and i could find myself a used 8120

If your aiming for 5GHZ I wouldnt go with that biostar personally. Somewhere around 3x120mm worth of radiator should be sufficient to handle that load without having to crank the noise up.

If you utilize turbo and powerno/CNQ having it peak at 5GHz on a couple of threads might be doable with even a h100 in a well cooled case. You run AC in the summer?

If your aiming for 5GHZ I wouldnt go with that biostar personally. Somewhere around 3x120mm worth of radiator should be sufficient to handle that load without having to crank the noise up.

Whats a good 990FX board ss?

If you utilize turbo and powerno/CNQ having it peak at 5GHz on a couple of threads might be doable with even a h100 in a well cooled case. You run AC in the summer?

Ofcourse i do. :D

I have used the 990FX-UD3 from gigabyte, and the 990FX Sabertooth I prefered the giga. I also had the 990X-UD3 which was probably my favorite of the 3 except that I do use SLI and wanted a black PCB. The asrock 990FX extreme 3 should also be great bang for the buck. I have used biostar boards in the past and if your just building a rig they are great but if you really want to tune one in nice and overclock it you want someone else board.

i would say it requires "balls of steel" my few benchies on 5,0 made me think the worst cases about short circuit, and leaking watercooling lol scared as hell :D

Back