Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

My New Geothermal Cooling Loop!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 06:41 PM Thread Starter   #1
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

My New Geothermal Cooling Loop!

I know I said I'd have this up yesterday...RL sucks some days!

First order of business is to get a copper loop buried in the ground to use as a radiator. This saves listening to fans, and the side benefit is that the in-ground temps are much cooler and more stable than anything using air cooled radiators.

I chose to do my underground loop in 3/8" OD copper tubing, the soft, bendable, thin walled tubing from Home Depot.
A funny thing about economics, they had 20' sections for $15, and a 50' section for $49...yep, two 20' sections it is...why pay $2 per foot for that last 10'?
To fasten the two sections together, I chose brass compression fittings, though on the copper side they are also soldered to the tube just for peace of mind and lack of needing to dig it up should it leak.
To bring the lines into the house I chose polyproylene tubing, that milky white and rather rigid stuff. I chose that because it's mighty difficult to crush should the ground settle on it. I also didn't want copper in my riser tubing to help avoid freezing better.

Now to dig a trench. Once coiled, my tubing measures 16' long, and giving 2' extra for bend radius on the poly tubing as well room to bring up the riser next to the foundation, that left me needing an 18' long trench, 36" deep to avoid Michigan winters (and hopefully anti-freeze).

Name:  Dig a Trench.JPG
Views: 8325
Size:  509.1 KB

The tubing was coiled around a 5" former of rolled aluminum flashing that was handy, and it's rigidity made it easy to coil the copper loosely around it with 8" between coils.
Shown in the pic, the return of copper was blue taped to the coils, but that was just for carrying. The tape was removed and the lines spread a bit apart before burial...don't want heat to transfer from the warm to cool sides.

Name:  Tubing in Trench.JPG
Views: 8753
Size:  610.2 KB

To bury copper tubing in a coil like that, you MUST wash the dirt back into the hole. You don't want air in the soil to hinder temp transfer, and you don't want the ground to settle later on and possibly crush/crimp your tube.
I raked it into the hole 3" at a time while removing stones, soaked it with the garden hose, then raked in some more. I made a thorough amount of mud that took days to settle out in my heavy clay soil.

For the riser, I went to a bit of extremes to avoid the possibility of freezing. I'd rather not use anti-freeze in my loop if it can be avoided.
Each poly tube has a 1" piece of grey plastic conduit around it for air gap. I then slipped on a piece of 4" PVC tubing and filled the space between the conduit and the PVC with great stuff foam insulation up to the top. To fill a long section like that, I started with a piece of aquarium tubing attached to the can to get the foam to fill from the bottom upward, and pulled it out as it was filled. Perfect fill.
Once that was hardened, I added the 90 elbow to the top, and filled that too with spray foam.
I trimmed away a square of siding from my house and mounted a 3/4" plate to the wall, already primed and painted to match the PVC (which is also primed and painted to avoid UV exposure/harm). That plate has a recess routed in to slip-fit the PVC elbow, and has two holes to match the poly tubing.
The pic shows it mounted and caulked nicely to prevent weather intrusion.

Name:  Snorkel Riser.JPG
Views: 8217
Size:  156.4 KB

Once through the wall, I fitted a drain fitting to the return side, and routed the tubing up the wall in a track I'd made. This keeps the tubing neat and prevents snagging, as this is an HTPC and I work around the area a lot.

Name:  Tubing through wall.JPG
Views: 8223
Size:  382.6 KB

Now for the reservoir. Starting with an OXO food storage container, I glued a plexi plate into the bottom, and drilled/tapped it to accept G1/4 fittings.

Name:  Res Victim.JPG
Views: 8196
Size:  326.9 KB

That sits atop of a box I made, that houses the pump, a cooling fan, and my trusty old Coolermaster AerogateII.

Name:  Res is Ready.JPG
Views: 8209
Size:  363.0 KB

You can see I modified the pumps, cutting out air holes in the bottom of the pump housings leaving an "X" shape and the center ring, then I added 1/8" holes around all 4 sides of each pump to let 'em breathe.
One pump is my old MCP350, the other is an MCP355, both acquired from forum members here.
The dual top is fed by a 1/2" Norprene tube from the res' bottom fitting, everthing else is 1/4" ID.

Name:  SANY1174.JPG
Views: 8015
Size:  390.8 KB

I paired up the pumps because of the footage I have of rather small lines, and the whole system including my DTek Fusion V2 waterblock maintains 1 Gallon+1 Liter of flow per minute.

Finished!

Name:  Tubing to Pump and Res.JPG
Views: 8002
Size:  1,013.9 KB Name:  Mounted and done.JPG
Views: 7853
Size:  275.8 KB

Temps stick to 14.5-15C for the water, and my CPU is 21C Idle, 25C fully loaded.
I'd call that a success!

Questions or Comments are welcome.
Thanks for stopping in a peaking.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin
Diggrr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Convicted1 (05-09-12), hokiealumnus (05-08-12), I.M.O.G. (05-07-12), madhatter256 (01-21-14), Silver_Pharaoh (02-18-14), unijabnx2000 (04-16-13)
Old 05-05-12, 07:31 PM   #2
dtrunk

+like9billion!

can you it a full load for like 3-1/2 weeks and see if you break 30c?

PS: Moar pics!

Custom Water Cooling Loop - XSPC RX360 w/ Swiftech Helix 120s Pull- Alphacool Monsta 140 w/ 2x Bgear Blaster 140 push/pull
- EK Suprm HF CPU Block - XSPC RezTop on MCP350 pump -Tubed in Black n coiled in RED
GPU: EVGA GTX680 HydroCopper @1201 GPU / 6110 Mem
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 9-11-10 1.5v
HD: OCZ Agility3 SATAIII 120gb : 3TB 7200rpm SATAII 64mb cache
dtrunk is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 07:32 PM   #3
pwnmachine

Wow that is simply amazing, I have never seen anything like it!

XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
Custom Maple Gaming Case
pwnmachine is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 07:37 PM   #4
NtheFace
Registered

Kudos... simply amazing engineering on that...

Even if for some reason that failed, which it DIDNT A+++ for effort...

w/ Crucial Ballistix Cooler
Video : EVGA GTX570
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
SSD : Crucial M4 64GB (OS,Drivers)
HDD : 2x 500G 7200RPM WD Caviar Black
Case : CoolerMaster HAF 932
PSU : CoolerMaster 850w Gold Silent Hybrid Pro
NtheFace is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 11:08 PM   #5
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

Can't wait for temprsults and long term usage results.

This is called 'green cooling' and nicely done!

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 11:39 PM Thread Starter   #6
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

I'd been running it all week gutted on the floor and using an ice cream bucket as a reservoir while I finished the real res, and the temps posted are it!
At start up it's room temp, and drops to 14.5 within a minute. After about 5 hours it gradually "climbs" to 15. I've seen it hit 15.5 once while running Prime, but after an hour water temp went back to 15 and stayed there over night.
The tube that goes through the box from the underground loop to the waterblock has a 4" piece of copper tubing joining the two types of tubing, and on that is my temp probe fastened with furon temp conducting tape--the same tape the probes come wrapped in.
The system is res>pump>underground>CPU>back to res, so that's the temp from the ground.

I'm thinking of picking up a can of flat black BBQ paint to paint the drain fitting, so I can use an IR thermometer for a second opinion though...it's very thermally conductive paint, and the IR's are best on non shiny surfaces.

Name:  Temp Readout.JPG
Views: 7650
Size:  187.6 KB

It says CPU, but I don't have a 7' probe to reach the CPU, the Aerogate complains when there's no probe or fan on the CPU channel, so I had to use one. Normally I don't care much about the water temp, but this is a bit of a special case I guess. The RPM is the 355. I plugged in both pumps and the fan to the controller so I get an alarm when something quits.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Diggrr; 05-05-12 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 11:51 PM   #7
GTXJackBauer
Just a normal member title.
Nothing to see here.

I mean amazing. If I was you I'd patent this idea as you never know some futuristic homes full of eletronics could use some good cooling. Just saying and I said it so I'd only ask for a single digit percentage once this went global. AMAZING. I kept going back to your old thread looking for updates till I found this new one. Great job. Innovation starts here......

P.S. - The housing that was laying on the floor without reading originally I thought that was a safebox I'am like oh this guys making it fire proof! WHOA! haha

ll Corsair 900D ll Intel i7-950 ll Intel DX58SO ll Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 12GB (3x4GB) ll Corsair Link ll EVGA GTX 780 Classified 3 GB Hydro Copper ll Samsung EVO 500GB SSD ll WD VelociRaptor 10k RPM 300GB - x2 ll WD Black 1.5 TB - x2 ll Toshiba 3TB ll Corsair AX1200i ll ASUS VS248H-P 24" 2ms LED - x3 - Nvidia Surround ll Bose Companion 5 ll
ll Swiftech Apogee HD ll Black Ice SR-1 240mm+360mm+480mm ll Helix120 (PWM) ll Swiftech Maelstrom-35X2 ll Koolance QDC (VLN4) ll Bitspower Compression Fittings (1/2 ID 3/4 OD) ll Koolance Flow Meter Adapter With Display ll Phobya Temp Sensor Coupler ll PrimoChill Advanced LRT 1/2 ID 3/4 OD (Elegant White) ll
"I haven't had any problems with distilled + PTnuke in mine, and have gone nearly two years straight without a flush now.
In fact, my hardware needs upgrading more so than my coolant. lol!" - Martinsliquidlab
Tom Petterson from Nvidia and Ryan Shrout from PC Perspective take my question. Video can be seen here @ - Post#127 -
GTXJackBauer is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 11:58 PM   #8
Atomichearse

This is the coolest thing ever! (no pun intended)
That's such a great idea. It's even better that it works!

16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1648 Mhz 8-8-8-1T| ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Corsair Obsidian 650D |
Atomichearse is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 12:12 AM Thread Starter   #9
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Oh I'm not the first to do this, I just tried to do it better though.
I used the soft tubing for better heat transfer with the thin walls, and it's coiled so that the water is forced against at least one side for "impingement"-scrubbing off the boundary layer of water molecules that don't move much.

Hopefully this will be enough for my meager video card to be added without too much penalty...it not, I'll be digging again!

**Lolz at the fire safe! It's top back and bottom are 3/4" Pine board, the front and two sides are 1/4" HDF (aka malamine, like a clipboard). I used Rustoleum Hammered brown paint, the flash makes it look lighter than in person. The black lining is a dense neoprene foam with an adhesive peel and stick back--I used to work at the company that makes it, and have a few yards of it.

Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 12:21 AM   #10
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

I wish I could do something like that, but here in SoFla; I'm afraid that I'd just be warming the water up instead...

I'm sure that loop would be able to handle waaaay more than what you're throwing at it right now.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 12:34 AM Thread Starter   #11
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Yeah, it's only a 65W processor, and the video card is a passively cooled GT520 (with a monster heatsink that I'd like to get rid of). This mobo only allows .15 increase in volts, so that won't be changing as I try to OC higher.
I'll be finding out next week, no one makes a GT520 block, so I'll have to make one of my own I guess. None of the universal's have a 3 bolt pattern.

At least in Flordidia you have sand so the digging is easy! Go down 5 feet! The downside is you have to dig 10' wide to go 5' down!!

Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 12:48 AM   #12
Convicted1
Premium Member #2

Awesome Thread and awesome project!

And yep... Dig Deep Enough... You'll eventually get to 55 degree dirt.

xXSebaSXx: "Fan reviews are easy. Spin up to full speed, stick finger into spinning blades. If blades break and finger remains the fan is no good; if the other way around happens then fan is a keeper."

Bobnova: "I went squeeeeee like a teenager with the new muave Pokemon when I saw that foam..."

I.M.O.G.: "CPU and GPU are at -10C, and there's water everywhere. Meh, windows updates are slightly less boring when done underwater."

My Heat My HWBOT
Convicted1 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 12:53 AM Thread Starter   #13
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Thanks!

Let's see...a couple buddies with 12 packs, 2 ladders, a gas-powered post hole digger w/5 extensions. Go vertical!
"Hold my beer and watch me get a Darwin award!!"

Old 05-06-12, 01:15 AM   #14
mjw21a

This is easily the coolest thing I've ever seen on here. I imagine your computer would be just about completely silent now. Awesome, I suspect it could handle a pretty decent overclock too

Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 01:55 AM   #15
bluezero5
Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter
Fourth Quarter 2012

Amazing !!!!!!!
thanks for teaching me something new today!!

CM Storm Trooper Chassis - ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme
Core i7 3930k 5.0Ghz (1.52Vcore) <= 24mths! no decaying!
select1: GTX680 3x SLI @1280Mhz
select2: HD7970 GE @ 1300Mhz
32Gb Trident 2400 DDR3 10-10-12-30 T1
Motto: I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!!

My Rig's build log ::: Fans 101: Going Scientific ::: Water Cooling FAQ
bluezero5 is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 01:56 AM   #16
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

One thing I was meaning to ask... I see you only went with 36" of depth for the trench; are you sure that depth is going to be below your frost depth?
I remember seeing another geothermal loop over at XS and the guy mentioned he had to go 60" down in order to avoid the winter frost from damaging the pipes and/or freezing the water.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 02:08 AM   #17
Convicted1
Premium Member #2

That was my first thought as well being in MI...

Here in Missouri... The freeze line is 18-24".... I'd think it'd be quite a bit deeper up there.

EDIT...

Looks like you're good to go @ 36".

xXSebaSXx: "Fan reviews are easy. Spin up to full speed, stick finger into spinning blades. If blades break and finger remains the fan is no good; if the other way around happens then fan is a keeper."

Bobnova: "I went squeeeeee like a teenager with the new muave Pokemon when I saw that foam..."

I.M.O.G.: "CPU and GPU are at -10C, and there's water everywhere. Meh, windows updates are slightly less boring when done underwater."

My Heat My HWBOT
Convicted1 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 02:13 AM   #18
hafa
Premium Member #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggrr View Post
At least in Flordidia you have sand so the digging is easy! Go down 5 feet! The downside is you have to dig 10' wide to go 5' down!!
Another thing to consider is that ground temperature is a function of the average air temperature in a given region. That's why deep caves in Southern Idaho have temperatures around 0-5C, while deep caves here in the Marianas have temperatures of 27C. Ground loops are well-suited to Northern climes, but provide no benefit in the tropics.

HTPC: Core i3 540/8GB/300GB Raptor/GTS450-1GB/W7P-64 ~|~ File Server: (Green) AMD 4850E/4GB/6TB RAID/Windows Server 2008 ~|~ Notebook/Workstation: M780 Toshiba Convertible Tablet/i7 M620/8GB/128GB Crucial M4 SSD /7200RPM 750GB/W8 Pro

Last edited by hafa; 05-06-12 at 05:40 AM.
hafa is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-06-12, 02:47 AM Thread Starter   #19
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Yep, I live across the lake from Chicago, in the 28" zone, although that's a worst case scenario even then.
You can bet I'll be watching temps, maybe adding a bit of AF through the first winter just to be prepared...I didn't forget the drain, so it won't be hard to flush it back out.

Still, adding anti-freeze isn't as huge a penalty as we make it out to be. Maybe 3-5, which I can easily afford starting this low to begin with.
Plus the frost line is just that, the zone where it begins to freeze. I would only need protection to maybe a few below to be safe, certainly not a 50/50 mix like in a car (-40F).

**If all else fails, it's only $30 worth of copper. I can retrench it to 48" if I don't like the results.

Last edited by Diggrr; 05-06-12 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 04:04 AM   #20
mjw21a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Another thing to consider is that ground temperature is a function of the average air temperature in a given region. That's why deep caves in Southern Idaho have temperatures around 0-5C, while deep caves here in the Marianas have temperatures of 27C. Ground loops are well-suited in Northern climes, but provide no benefit in the tropics.
Bugger..... Looks like there's little chance of running one here in Australia..... Might be ok for those in Tasmania and Victoria still though.

Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop