• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II x4 960T question, also memory question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I'm now running my 960T as a x6 1605T. As I expected, when I unlocked the 2 extra cores, I lost my core temp readings. Is there a way to get them back? If not, is there a way to estimate them?

Also, I've got my ram timings set to recommended speeds according to the sticker on them (9-9-9-24), and am pushing them at 1600MHz (also specified by manufacturer). Everything seems to be rock solid at stock processor speeds. My question is: the memory tab on CPU-Z is telling me that my clock speeds are 9-9-9-24 for the ones I've specified in bios, but one that I left in auto (Bank Cycle Time [tRC]) is at 40. When I click on the SPD tab, it gives me a timings table that, from what I can tell, is recommending I set tRC at 33. Should I? I'll attach pics.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 101
tRC of 40 or 33 is minutely different. Probably not even measurable.

Lock the two cores back and push the cpu mhz back up until you reach max or the most voltage you feel safe with and the cpu CORES are not more than 55C. Look at the cpu temp then in HWMonitor and get the relationship of CPU temp to CPU CORE temp. That difference/relationship will be what you use when again unlocking the cores.

Ok, thanks. I already know that the core temps stayed right around 10 degrees cooler than CPU temps before I unlocked the CPU. I just wasn't sure if that would stay true when I unlocked them. Now that I know that, I feel much more comfortable overclocking to 4 GHz.

Looks like you might get away with a 1T CR when I look at you SPD tab profile. That's probably what it is in the lower frequency profiles and I don't see it changing in the #4 or XMP profiles where if there was a change in CR timing it would show. Try it anyway.

Looks like you might get away with a 1T CR when I look at you SPD tab profile. That's probably what it is in the lower frequency profiles and I don't see it changing in the #4 or XMP profiles where if there was a change in CR timing it would show. Try it anyway.

Ok, now you lost me. Can you expand on that a little? I assume your talking about the command rate?

Dlaw, you can always remember this: tRP(9) + tRAS(24) = tRC(33). This is always the method, even when overclocking for safe timings.

Last edited:
Um, 9+9+9=27, unless I missed something?

Also, I can't find CR timing in my Bios. Will it make a big difference, or should I just let it be?

Wow.. I'm really tired! Yes 9-9-9-27, but some kits are a little different when is comes to tRAS. Still... 9+24=tRC(33). "Command Rate: Also called CPC (Command Per Clock). The amount of time in cycles when the chip select is executed and the commands can be issued. The lower (1T) the faster the performance, but 2T is used to maintain system stability. On Intel based machines, 1T is always used where the number of banks per channel are limited to 4." Mine is labeled "DRAM Command Rate". You might try looking for that depending on your motherboard make and model. Mine is an Asus.

Yea, I couldn't find it. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm getting now.

On a side note, I just got me a CM Storm Scout today, and I gotta say it looks pretty sweet. The fans that came with it are junk though, barely move any air. I'll be swapping them out soon.

Back