• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3 Undervolt - Anything For It & Safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfox

I just recently purchased a Sony Vaio VPCEH390X with a i3 in it and a Nvidia 410.

I guess because of the dedicated GPU it causes the i3 to idle a little bit hot...

So I pulled it apart today and regreased it with Arctic Ceramique and I noticed it's idle is like 4-5c cooler now, so I'm a lot happier with that, but I'd like to also consider undervolting it and wanted to know are there still any decent software applications to do this with and is it safe to undervolt?

Rmclock looks a bit outdated so I'm not sure I want to mess with something as old as this.

The is i3-2350M Sandy Bridge on this laptop...

Also is Is Core Temp a decent application for monitoring temps?

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Any help would be greatly appreciated it...

THANKS

Idle temp's really aren't significant. Instead monitor the loaded core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp. Intel lists Tjunction for the i3-2350M at 85C (PGA); 100C (BGA), so core temp's kept at 20-25C below TjMax are fine (60-65C PGA; 75-80C BGA). And the BIOS reads the VID (Voltage ID) of the processor, then adjusts the Vcore / Vcc accordingly, which can be up to 1.52V for the 2350M.

Last edited:
If your motherboard supports voltage adjustments then you can certainly knock some voltage off in your BIOS. What could follow is instability in your PC or failure to boot. It shouldn't damage any hardware though if that's what you're worried about.

Many laptops these days are moving away from BIOS altogether... so I can't be sure you even have a BIOS you can edit.

Well this thing is idle at around 45c-47c but I regreased with Artic Ceramique, it looks like it's knocked off a few degrees...

But Linux is my OS and when I compile software in it, it's hitting like 60c-68c which to me, just to compile seems a bit extreme...

Rmclock showed it as 'Unknown', so that's out, Cpugenie had problems starting, so that's out also and I don't really see anything out there to do this with...

But since I dual boot, between Windows and Linux, I wonder if there's anything that will work at the bios level?

There is a bios on this laptop, but nothing to change in it...

THANKS

Back