• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Overdrive issues and odd stats

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lila

Hey, I have an older Dell XPS 625 with following with following specs...

AMD PH II X4 940 3ghz black
Passive Copper Heatpipe CPU/Active Northbridge Cooling System
AMD 790FX based custom mb
Sapphire Radeon HD 5670
750w atx psu
original dell case
5gb ddr2 800 ram
1TB Samsung HD

I noticed that the cpu is idle at 60 degrees celcius, which seems a little high considering max recommended temp is 62 degrees, and while running the basic benchmarks the temp seems to jump up to 75 degrees.
Running AMD Overdrive autotune, cpu temps jump above 80 degrees according to overdrive, which has me concerned. btw my cpu is running at 1.4v and is multiplied by 15.5 for 3.1ghz output. I realize this isnt much to go on, but any help is appreciated.

Passive Copper Heatpipe CPU = That just about means that you will not be able to overclock and if the inside of the case is dusty or dirty, you will have high temps when not even overclocked.

Tuning utilities are just a bad idea in general. Yes they are easy but the also have a nasty habit of mucking things up in the BIOS causing a lot of issues. My initial suggestions would be..

1-Un-install AMD Overdrive
2-Shut down PC, remove power cable and pull CMOS battery for at least 15 min
3-Install CMOS batter, plug power cable in and boot system
4-Check idle temps in the BIOS
5-If issue is fixed, have a coke and relax.
6-If issue is not fixed clean all fans
7-if still not fixed remove CPU heatsink and re apply thermal paste.

Hope this helps.

Phenom's also have this habit of turning the volts up way over what it needs when stressed if all the BIOS setting are set to default.

1.4v is high (but not over what it can handle) it will caws your temps to rise. What i would suggest is set the vCore to 1.3v and turn off Line Calibration.

But i don't know your Motherboard so i can't direct you to those setting locations.

Can you find them yourself?

What's your case ventilation like? How many case fans do you have installed. Usually those box store computers have crappy ventilation and if dust has built up over time what was marginal ventilation to begin with it became plain inadequate.

AMD Overdrive is rather harmless as far as the BIOS is concerned, in reply to a post above.

Those 940's were certainly a step in the right direction for AMD, however the AM3 Phenom II's (9x5) really blow them away in both power consumption and performance. It doesn't surprise me at all that the CPU has a 1.4v VID (Default voltage) and that the CPU is running hot with a rather inadequate heatsink in that machine.

What options do you have in your motherboard's BIOS as far as setting CPU multiplier, bus speed, voltages? If you have a camera, mind posting up a few pictures of BIOS pages?

Back