• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Piledriver looking for information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bijiont

I think the title pretty much spells it out however I am looking for information regarding the desktop performance chips from the Piledriver line. I have read the trinity review here and also did some searching which indicates a May 15th release but other than that information has been sparse. I am not sure if this only applies to the trinity A10 line or the piledriver vishera line as well.

I am trying to confirm if the desktop line is sticking with AM3+ or if they are moving to FM2 socket. I have read several sites source both sockets which doesn't make sense considering how different the sockets are. I have always been under the impression FM2 was for the trinity(laptop) market and piledriver would be the last series on AM3+ until steamroller.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,

EDIT ** Below is the site I have been referencing with roadmap information **
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...vements_with_Steamroller_Microprocessors.html

Last edited:
1. Your questions have been asked now for at least 6 months and no answer has been a real answer to date.

2. We all have to read the same sites you read.

3. I expect that AMD needs to make sure PD is not as much hype as BD was since the users were very disappointed and two disappointing releases in a row, would not be so good, one would think.

4. I expect AMD will bring PD but anything beyond that is likely all bets are off since AMD's idea for a few years now has been to move completely to an APU setup.

5. All of us would like to have a 'real' idea of the next big desktop cpu from AMD but so far there has been little more than road maps that noone had confirmed.

Thanks RGone,

This is the same conclusion I was coming to but wanted to ask to make sure I wasn't missing something super obvious.

I suspect that PD will be AMD's last stand alone CPU for the desktop.

The follow up to Trinity looks to finally be integrated the x86 and GPU together into a single chip rather than tow separate chips that happen to live on the same piece of silicon. I'm going upgrade to PD from my current chip and will keenly watch how their APU's go after this. Likewise, there will be a move to DDR4/5 at some point in the not too distant future and that will likely require a new socket.

SUPPOSEDLY, and i say that with all intent of not meaning this is the truth. But PD is going to be LM2, which will require a MOBO upgrade as LM1 and LM2 are not compatibible. AMD is not calling it an CPU, it will be an APU, and will have GPU cores integrated into the processor for faster speeds. Apparently the first iteration of the PD APU is supposed to get about 5GHz per core. But this is pretty much all speculation. I dont trust anything I read on the internet any ways.

Inaccurate according to most information

SUPPOSEDLY, and i say that with all intent of not meaning this is the truth. But PD is going to be LM2, which will require a MOBO upgrade as LM1 and LM2 are not compatibible. AMD is not calling it an CPU, it will be an APU, and will have GPU cores integrated into the processor for faster speeds. Apparently the first iteration of the PD APU is supposed to get about 5GHz per core. But this is pretty much all speculation. I dont trust anything I read on the internet any ways.

The Intergrated Graphics APU codenamed Trinity will move from FM1 to FM2 socket.

Currently most information for the Bulldozer to Piledriver move for AMD desktop cpus will still have Piledriver using AM3+ type socket and thus should not require a motherboard upgrade for a new socket. Now it is this information that is not verified for "certain" by anything other than roadmaps and nothing more concrete for evidence.

One thing I might note that I do not see much speculating about is that with the new Piledrive cpu, AMD is supposed to release a new chipset as well. So far I have only seen it shown as series 1000 chipset, coming after the 900 series for the Bulldozer cpus. That said it seems that although AMD processors are somewhat backward compatible that the CPU 'really' works better with the chispet released for the CPU. It might be worth keeping that minor bit in mind.

Oh great! :(

I was under the impression that PD was going to be AM3+. I bought my 990FX board with the expectation that it would be suitable for the next gen of chips (it currently has an 1100T in it) and I decided to skip Bulldozer and wait for Piledriver. And now you people are saying it might mean a new MB?

Not happy. :(

Information still indicates stand alone Piledriver chips will be using AM3+.

Nobody said for 'real'

for real that PD would need a new board. At least not in this thread. I did say that there is supposed to be a new chipset for PD and since I am a few platforms behind, I am waiting for the chipset that comes with PD since AMD does release a chipset for the newer cpu even if the cpu may be backwards compatible. Over the last 4 or 5 cpu and chipset releases the newer chipset seems to be a little better with the new cpu, but that still did not say a new motherboard was needed. :bang head

Oh great! :(

I was under the impression that PD was going to be AM3+. I bought my 990FX board with the expectation that it would be suitable for the next gen of chips (it currently has an 1100T in it) and I decided to skip Bulldozer and wait for Piledriver. And now you people are saying it might mean a new MB?

Not happy. :(

Yeah, the 1000 series chips are meant to add a few extra features. Nothing I can't live without. I'll be upgrading to PD when I can. I'll keep my current chip as a spare. Want to built a 4th computer with spare parts at some point.

Back