• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what in the world is wrong with this pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

osiris999

A co-worker of mine told me his HP PC was freezing up on him and the screen was all crazy colors. He took a pic and it seemed like the video card was going out. Its built in the mb. He bought one at best buy and that problem was fixed but the PC still froze up. He brought it to me and it wouldn't even boot with out freezing. So I took the hard drive out and tested in my PC. Sea tools said the hard drive was no good. He bought a new hard drive installed windows and the PC still freezes he says. Can't install drivers before it freezes. Once he said the whole screen just went black. So what else can it be?

That is part of the Nvidia drivers.

Go in to safe mode and install the latest videocard drivers from the nvidia website.

I will try that. He said it was when installing the video card that it locked up. Does nvidia drivers have a problem with windows 8? Windows 7 64bit ones should work right?

Windows 8? That would have been great to know up front! :p

I dont see Windows 8 in the OS list at Nvidia.com. Windows8 is in beta so there could be issues.

He used the disk that came with the card. I'm sure they are old an out dated. I don't have a nvidia card anymore but my 5870 works great on windows 8.

Ok I'll bite........ which specific card? Regardless, go to Nvidia.com and have him try to install the latest drivers.

Thats an ancient card, wow. No wonder. It should be quite clear why it isnt working since you are using drivers that are what, 4+ years old?

Yea he doesn't game at all or anything and it was like 50$ at best buy. I never seen the PC since he changed the hd. Just going off what he says as far as freezing up and all. Hopefully its just drivers.

Windows 8 would have native drivers for an old Nvidia card like that, I would think.

Back