• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Honeydiddle

Registered
Hi everyone

So i built up a pc about 3 months ago but on a bit of a budget, now that i have a bit of cash, is it worth getting rid of my sticks of transcend ddr3 1333 ( 2x4 gb ) and getting 2 G.Skill Ripjaws X ddr3 1333 ( 2x 8gb ) ? I only have two ram slots and im wondering if that will boost my performance a fair bit, i mainly play games but also like to run many programs at once.

Thanks for your help

:welcome:

The move from 8GB of RAM to 16GB probably won't benefit you much unless you're doing a lot of heavy lifting in Photoshop or similar content creation applications.

You'll probably see some benefit with faster RAM, though. I'd recommend these if you'd like to tinker with overclocking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147094 The actual performance difference between what you have and the Samsung overclocked to 2133MHz (which seems to be pretty reasonable) is probably around 3-5%, but it's fun to play with and pretty cheap.

If you'd rather not spend money on a minor upgrade like that, list your system specs and we might be able to find something else more in need of upgrading.

Depends on your ram usage model. Do you come close to 8GB use already? If so, go for it, if not, dont. :)

My specs are :

i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz
8gb Transcend ram
Nvidia gtx 560
Seagate 1tb Harddrive

I dont really see anything else worth upgrading

However i was told ram would increase my boot up speed which is damn slow, i didnt think ram had anything to do with boot up speed however

I could see ram improving boot up times if you were trying to run 512MB of it. I also doubt that ramspeed you would notice in daily activities... not sure if that translates to boot times.

Personally, unless you benchmark, i wouldnt get faster than 1600Mhz ram.

I was considering a ssd but i would have to re install windows and everything and i have a fair amount of things installed on here.

With boot times it seems abnormally slow though, i push the on button, the fan starts up, then about 3 seconds later it comes up with the graphics card spec screen, then another 3 or so seconds later it shows the mobo screen, then starts to load windows 7, it just frustrates me sometimes cause all my old computer never did any of that, just went straight to the windows loading screen basically

Yeah you would have to reinstall, of course. But the improvements are arguably the best, most tangible improvements you can make for your PC (boot times).

You can probably clone your current installation over to the new drive. It's worth the speed improvement, trust me.

Newer motherboards tend to take a little longer to initialize everything. You can go into your BIOS and potentially adjust some of it, like how long it waits at the BIOS screen for you to hit the setup key. You can also disable unused devices, like firewire controllers, and make sure your SATA controller isn't configured for RAID mode.

I'd suggest waiting until you have just a little more cash and can get a 128GB SSD.

Back