• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could really use your help on finding a laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clubber_lang

Registered
Hey guys.....I'm pretty green ( newb ) when it comes to the desk top computers but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I am wanting to pick up a used laptop but I really don't know anything about them and what to look for. What the general things I am looking for would be....

An HDMI output so I could hook it up to my big 54" plasma and watch some DL movies.

A good 17" or close screen size.
pretty good sized HD
Good processing power , ram , video card and so forth.

But I'm also looking for something durable. Is there a certain brand or maybe series of laptops that have a good back ground on reviews and so forth?

I would like to try and maybe pick one up on CL here in Portland. And if any of you have the time to maybe help me search for a good buy , it would really be helpful.

This is the link to the Portland's CL >> http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=laptop+&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=400

I have the link set at about $400.00 , but I could go up ( or down ) a little if I need to.

Thanks for you help in advance if you have the time.

It's going to be difficult to source a decent modern (Core i) used notebook with a 17" screen for ~$400. You may have better luck looking for a 15-15.6" screen at that price point.

Lenovo is a good bet for durability and overall quality; the Thinkpad series are especially robust, but may not have the HDMI out you're looking for.

You might check out that Asus laptop with the A6 APU in it. Seems like a good deal. Just contact him and ask him if it has an HDMI port. You'll have to sacrifice the 17 inch screen though.

Hey guys thanks! I wouldn't mind stepping down to a 15" - 16" screen if that is what it takes. I just wanted to make sure it had enough power to be able to plug it into my TV and watch movies and run a few other little programs that I need out in the field. I know one thing.....I want to try and find something with good battery life. Seems like every time I see a good laptop for sale , it always say " Battery will need replaced". I don't think they're cheap.

BTW.....would I get in trouble here if I found a few for sale on CL and posted the ad link here so you guys could check them out , to see if it was a good deal or not?

Hey guys thanks! I wouldn't mind stepping down to a 15" - 16" screen if that is what it takes. I just wanted to make sure it had enough power to be able to plug it into my TV and watch movies and run a few other little programs that I need out in the field. I know one thing.....I want to try and find something with good battery life. Seems like every time I see a good laptop for sale , it always say " Battery will need replaced". I don't think they're cheap.

BTW.....would I get in trouble here if I found a few for sale on CL and posted the ad link here so you guys could check them out , to see if it was a good deal or not?
I don't think it's a problem as long as it's not your stuff. :shrug:

Back