• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conflicting temp readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R5

Hello ppl,

I've got a bit of a conundrum here, I have an Athlon II 640 (not OC'd) with a Titan Fenrir HSF and I'm getting different temp readings depending on the program used. Coretemp tells me the cpu is at 58deg, but PC Probe tells me it's at 27deg. I've checked the seating of the heatsink, contact and thermal compound are all fine.

Could it be a faulty sensor or is Coretemp not particularly accurate for propus chips?

Cheers

Coretemp id the ONLY supported AMD temp proggy. You mobo proggy is giving useless chip temps, we never trust the mobo no matter if Intel or AMD.

Make sure you have the latest one.

Idle temps can me wonky FYI, oly load temps matter.

OK, so if coretemp is correct, it puts my cpu at 71deg under 100% load using Prime95, which if I'm not mistaken is the point at which the cpu is supposed to start choking performance in an effort to reduce temps.

I've checked and double checked HSF, contact and thermal compound but all seems fine. I've also used HWMonitor Pro which puts temps for all other components between 24-30deg at idle. What are the chances of having duff temp sensors on the cpu?

71C?

What are ambient temps? What do you idle at? Is the heatsink hot to the touch when you are reading that high?

As far as having different sensors on the CPU, outside of the core/socket, none.

Ambient temps are about 22deg, it idles around the 60deg mark. I've touched the heatpipes at the top of the HSF and they're as cold as, if not colder than room temp. I can just fit my hand over the top of the HSF and the air coming through is fairly cool also.

Edit: All temps in deg C.

Last edited:
Its not making good contact. Something is clearly wrong with the mounting I would imagine. 60C should be your max LOAD temp.

When you push firmly down on the heatsink do the temps drop? Was thermal paste installed? Any plastic covers removed?

I've checked, double check and rechecked contact, thermal paste has been applied in a thin, even layer. There's no plastic cover and pushing down on the HSF does nothing, I'm at a complete loss as to why the temps are as they are.

HWM says cores 0-3 are 50deg C at idle, Mobo temps 25 & 27 deg C, HDD temps 24 & 25 deg C, GPU 31deg C.

The HSF is more than capable and I remember it running around 28deg C in the past at idle.

It's driving me up the wall ><

I think my PC is taking the **** out of me, had dig around in BIOS but didn't change anything, CPU temps displayed at 29deg C, restarted my machine, HWMonitor now says cores are at 15 deg C

Edit: Because I am completely retarded, I managed to overlook the fact that my Mobo had turned on the 'core unlocking' feature, which for some unknown reason led to the doubling of my cpu temps in HWMonitor and Coretemp.
Many thanks to you guys for helping with the lateral thinking, it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back