• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this processor work on this mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nevery

I hope this post is in the correct place, I used the Notice board link to start a thread in the General Hardware section.

Anyhow to start this off I am running on a old junky HP computer. I'm wanting to replace the processor that I currently have (Intel Pentium E2180) with a
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 which I have found for a reasonable price. I am not sure if my motherboard will support it exactly, but the HP Motherboard Specifications website says I can upgrade from a range of the following:
Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
Intel Core 2 Duo (W) E8xxx
Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600
Core 2 Duo E6x00 (C) up to E6700
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (C) up to E4400

I assume the X's for the Q9xxxx means that it can be any of the processor from that group, but I would prefer someone with perhaps a better insight to this then myself. All I want is to be able to play GW2 and raids in WoW with a frame rate of 30fps or above.

Current specs:
E2180 2Ghz
GTS250 1GB
3GB DDR2 RAM
1TB HDD
Wind7 x32bit
1680 x 1050 screen resolution.

Also another small question, will I have to re install windows 7 if I install a new processor? I still have the OEM disc which I had ordered about 3 months ago is so.

Thanks, Nevery!

Last edited:
:welcome:

Yes, the Q9550 should fall under the "Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx" section. Most 775 boards that supported Core 2 Duo shouldn't have trouble with Core 2 Quad, especially at stock speeds.

You don't need to reinstall Windows - it will detect the new cores and run just fine. I think you're good to go!

:welcome:

Yes, the Q9550 should fall under the "Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx" section. Most 775 boards that supported Core 2 Duo shouldn't have trouble with Core 2 Quad, especially at stock speeds.

You don't need to reinstall Windows - it will detect the new cores and run just fine. I think you're good to go!

Awsome, thanks!

Back