• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Photoshop/Premiere Acceleration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

I currently have a 260GTX which I have been using primarily to support Adobe Photoshop and Priemere in addition to running 2 24" displays. I am in the initial stages of planning my next build which will be used for Photoshop, video editing, media playback, and grad school. My current build (in sig) has never seen a game, so I do not care about video game performance. With that in mind, is there any reason for me to upgrade my card? With CS6 coming out in the next few quarters, I am unsure as to how it will interact with a GPU. I typically work with 20-50 megapixel images and HD video off a Canon 7D.

Would my money be better invested in a more recent GPU ($~300) or should I put that money towards more/faster storage?

Thanks

If that 260GTX is serving your GPU acceleration needs I would just stick with it. As you said new SW is coming down the pipe soon and who knows how they are doing acceleration yet. I would invest that money into quality storage, input devices, and making sure that you have the best other components you can get within your budget.IE enough/fast RAM, a high end CPU, if a SSD isnt in your build right now add one, if its already there get a bigger one. How many buttons does your primary pointing device have, and how reliable is it? It sounds ridiculous but my Logitech MX Revolution mouse has 3 top buttons 2 side buttons and a side wheel. I thought they were silly when I got it, but since Ive learned how to program them to do different stuff in different applications I find it indispensable now. Not to mention that the bluetooth connection is extremely stable.

If you have a parts list feel free to post it we might be able to help you tune up your build.

Last edited:
As I said I am just in the initial planning stages...mainly trying to establish my budget as I will be studying in Germany in the fall (need $$$) so I need to figure out my summer finances. I will probably be building a new computer and a will be converting my current system into a data server.

Server:
Have: current cpu, mobo, ram, 500gb hdd, 3x2tb hdds, dvdrw, OS (win server)

need:3x2GB ram, psu, case, 5x2TB hdd, inexpensive graphics

Workstation:
Have: bluray drive, dvdrw, 2x1tb drives, case, 750W psu, sound card, cable card, 3x24" monitors, 260GTX, secondary graphics card for 3rd monitor, OS (win7)

need: cpu (maybe i7 3770), mobo, 16 or 32GB ram (will need to see price point come spring), ~256GB ssd

Total price of new hardware should be about $1700 at current prices if I stick with my 260GTX. I guess Ill just have to wait for some more benches of CS6, but I suspect that my gains from a new card will be largely negligible compared to better storage drives.

I'm mainly just trying to figure out the dollar value that I need to start accumulating.

One thing Im hoping for is that they will finaly add openCL or some other form of direct compute other than CUDA acceleration. If they do it would be worth upgrading and probably to an AMD card.If they don't do that then Id wait for the lower end 6xx series from nVidia to come out so you can atleast run all your monitors from a single card.

I always felt that 3D art was still too time consuming for an age in which we need it everywhere! I do posters, cards, AVs, walk-throughs and a lot more graphic and video work and for all of these things I spend way too much time on the 3D rendering. I happened upon this video that showcases the new3D features of Photoshop CS6 - http://tv.adobe.com/watch/photoshop...gertips-in-photoshop-cs6-extended/?sdid=JYNWV and it’s pretty interesting. I’ve got the trial version http://www.adobe.com/in/downloads/?sdid=JUMTN and I’ve just started playing around with the features. Let’s hope things go smoothly!

Back