• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up my Dominator DDR3 Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

90Ninety

Registered
Hi Guys

I just realised during a CPU OC using HWmonitor , my Ram was running at 667 Mhz . How do I increase my Ram speed ? ( I assume this would improve performance)

On the label it says 1600Mhz , I take it this is the Highest supported Ram

Also there's these numbers - 9-9-9-24 1.65V I take it these are important ?

I take it Ram settings are done through the Bios , can anyone give me a little help , or shall I just leave them at 667Mhz ?

it will be done through bios. the 1600 is ram speed which will be done via a divider. some boards will show speed and some will just show the divider.
the 9-9-9-24 are primary timings and the 1.65 is voltage needed for ram to reamin stable- this is thoeretical as some ram will run will less voltage than rated. there should also be a small boost once you have it set to specs

The DRAM frequency is changed on the M4A785TD-M-EVO via the Advanced tab--> Memory Timing and Voltage--> Memory Clock Mode (set to Manual)--> Memclock Value (set to 800MHz) = DDR3-1600. And the 9-9-9-24 timings relate to tCL, tRCD, ,tRP, and tRAS (located under DRAM Timing Mode; Memory OverVoltage = DRAM voltage = 1.65V).

Last edited:
The DRAM frequency is changed on the M4A785TD-M-EVO via the Advanced tab--> Memory Timing and Voltage--> Memory Clock Mode (set to Manual)--> Memclock Value (set to 800MHz) = DDR3-1600. And the 9-9-9-24 timings relate to tCL, tRCD, ,tRP, and tRAS (located under DRAM Timing Mode; Memory OverVoltage = DRAM voltage = 1.65V).

Ok I changed the Bios stock settings (auto) to those specified on the DDR3 Ram

I changed the Memclock to 800Mhz and the timings ( as above) , for each Ram stick , one at a time

Now the computer just seems to crash , I have tried to load CPU-Z several times and the PC just crashes then restarts

Am I missing something

Updating RAM

Okay after reading around , I got the timings and voltages suited for the 8 GB of ram and it worked fine .

However now I have 8 GB more, identical ram (16 GB in total ) , though if I install the other 8GB I get BSOD

Any suggestions ?

You're stressing the memory controller with four sticks. You'll probably have to add a tad CPU-NB voltage to make it happy again.

Worst-case would be you got two kits with different ICs. If that's the case, they may never play well together no matter what you do.

First, I'd make sure the RAM itself is ok. Drop down to DDR3-1333 at the rated timings and see if it behaves. If so, raise CPU-NB voltage and try 1600 again.

If that doesn't work, try loosening timings a bit, perhaps 9-11-10-28 and see if it works.

Back