• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ppd on dual xeon 5160

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jameseboy

What would be the best ppd I would be looking at getting running a system with 2 dual core crib 5160s with 4gb ram? I would be running native Linux on it.

I have not heard of a system quite like that. Also, different projects vary the ppd widely.

Are you thinking about buying this or getting right to the point, why not try it and see?

I'm thinking it wouldn't qualify for much from the bonus points, so it would be quite low. If you haven't bought it yet, I wouldn't buy it to be a folder. Very soon it will be relegated to folding only the "classic" work units which are so low in points they're really not worth it - just 67 points per wu. :eek:

One 2500k or 2600K would be far better as a folder.

I was looking at buying it, There's a company here in the uk who have just replaced there servers and are selling a bunch of there older ones of dirt cheap. The above system is selling for £25 ($40) was just wondering what I would get out of it. And I already have a 2500K and 2 gtx460's folding away. Just seen them and wondered if they would be worth anything point wise

No, sorry. Folding@Home has moved on, like your seller. It is something you have to watch out for in this hobby. Never ever take anything that will only fold in the bottom part of the smp projects - because they won't get any bonus points, and they will shortly be kicked down into the uniprocessor projects. Down there, the points are VERY few, and the science is really next to nothing, as well.

Yes, I see you on the team, now.

Dual Woodcrest's would be slightly slower(~17%) than a Q6600 @ the same clock. You could see up to 9,000 ppd on some Wus, probably closer to 5000 ppd on most. The original FAH smp benchmark machine used dual woodcrests @ 2.33 GHz.

Last edited:
Back