Forum Jump

One more question about Asus M5A88-V Evo Motherboard Fans

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 02:25 PM Thread Starter   #1
tech0925
Registered

One more question about Asus M5A88-V Evo Motherboard Fans

Ok,

Keep in mind this is my first computer build. LOL By chance I just realized today the reason I could not control my chasis fan speed. It was b/c it was connected to the MOBO and to a 4 pin power source connector. Evidently the power source takes precedence so I disconnected my power source and now I can control it. Here is my concerns:

1. Was it dangerous for the MOBO to have it connected to the MOBO and the 4 pin power connector at the same time?

2. On the right side of the MOBO is another 3 pin connection for the pwr_fan. I originally assumed since I had a huge fan at the front of my tower and it had a 3 pin connector that it went there. But now I am confused if this is suppose to be for the PSU. However, my corsair TX750 psu only has one 4 pin connector and that wont fit I am assuming.

So, is it ok to have the intake fan in the front plugged to that or should somehow the psu is suppose to connect to it?
tech0925 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 05-17-12, 04:58 PM   #2
Aldakoopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech0925 View Post
Ok,

Keep in mind this is my first computer build. LOL By chance I just realized today the reason I could not control my chasis fan speed. It was b/c it was connected to the MOBO and to a 4 pin power source connector. Evidently the power source takes precedence so I disconnected my power source and now I can control it. Here is my concerns:

1. Was it dangerous for the MOBO to have it connected to the MOBO and the 4 pin power connector at the same time?

2. On the right side of the MOBO is another 3 pin connection for the pwr_fan. I originally assumed since I had a huge fan at the front of my tower and it had a 3 pin connector that it went there. But now I am confused if this is suppose to be for the PSU. However, my corsair TX750 psu only has one 4 pin connector and that wont fit I am assuming.

So, is it ok to have the intake fan in the front plugged to that or should somehow the psu is suppose to connect to it?

The one that says PWR_FAN just supplies power to a single fan, I believe it runs at 100% though and does not vary it's speed according to temp, but there is one near the back that says CHA_FAN that will vary speed according to CPU temp. As for damage caused to anything, I wouldn't be able to tell you, but if everything still works then I would assume no damage has been done. Whatever you do though, don't try and connect any of your PSU's connectors directly to the PWR_FAN or CHA_FAN plug. I'm pretty sure you can throw either your PSU, mobo, or both in the trash if you do that.

RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) PNY Optima DDR3 (1400MHz)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850 (1050MHz core, 1200MHz mem)
PSU: 600W Corsair GS600
SSHD: 500GB Seagate Solid State Hybrid 5400 rpm
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm
SSD: 128GB Samsung 830
Case: Antec 300 Illusion
Aldakoopa is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
tech0925 (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 05:05 PM Thread Starter   #3
tech0925
Registered

LOL, thanks!
Old 05-17-12, 09:35 PM Thread Starter   #4
tech0925
Registered

I have an off topic question you may be able to answer as well. If I have two HDD's and I have windows 7 installed on one, can I install Mac snow leopard OS on the other? Would there be any conflicts in doing this?

The reason I ask is because I am a web designer and it would be nice to have both OS on one machine

Asus M5A88-V Evo MOBO
AMD FX eight core processor
Rocketfish Heat Sink CPU Fan
16GB (4x4GB) PNY Optima DDR3 1333MHz Ram
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM High Performance HDD
1.5TB Segate Barracuda 5900RPM HDD

Last edited by tech0925; 05-17-12 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 10:05 PM   #5
Aldakoopa

I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it, and unplug the other when installing the other just to make sure you get them both completely separated. I've never had multiple drives, so I don't know the details of how to select one drive or the other, but I doubt it would be complicated.

RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) PNY Optima DDR3 (1400MHz)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850 (1050MHz core, 1200MHz mem)
PSU: 600W Corsair GS600
SSHD: 500GB Seagate Solid State Hybrid 5400 rpm
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm
SSD: 128GB Samsung 830
Case: Antec 300 Illusion
Aldakoopa is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-12, 11:20 AM   #6
trents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldakoopa View Post
I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it, and unplug the other when installing the other just to make sure you get them both completely separated. I've never had multiple drives, so I don't know the details of how to select one drive or the other, but I doubt it would be complicated.
Yes, you will definitely need to do this. If you don't do this it will mess up your boot sector.

Custom built desktop #1:
FX-6300 4.5 ghz/Noctua D14 CPU cooler/16 gb Team Elite 2400 mhz ram, 4x4gb/Asus M5A99X Evo motherboard/Coolermaster HAF 912 case/OCZ 750W PSU/AMD 6850 GPU/2xCorsair 120gb SDD RAID 0
Toshiba SatelliteL775 laptop/17.3" display, AMD 3400M APU, 8 gb of 1333

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
trents is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-23-12, 07:26 AM   #7
Buddywh
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldakoopa View Post
I'm sure you could. Be sure to unhook one hard drive while installing an OS, and then reattach it...
Shouldn't you be able to install as a dual-boot without messing around at the hardware level? I know you can install Win7 and WinXP and format only the partition where it installs, leaving all other partitions and drives alone. I did it installing WinXP to a second drive after I had installed Win7.

The only thing is the default boot sector became WinXP's so I had to use a utility called Open BSD to let me select which to boot.

But then... I know nothing of SnowLeopard, it may just be totally selfish and assume the whole computer is it's own and format all available drives and partitions to suit itself.

Asus M5a88-m
GigaByte HD7770@1100/1300
Buddywh is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards