• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computing experts unveil superefficient ‘inexact’ chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Found this whilst browsing the internet. It's worth taking a look...

The article reads:
"HOUSTON — (May 17, 2012) — Researchers have unveiled an “inexact” computer chip that challenges the industry’s 50-year pursuit of accuracy. The design improves power and resource efficiency by allowing for occasional errors."

Continue reading here.

:comp:

Just like when you're trying to calculate something fast and instead of saying the exact number you say something like "about 607".

Can't see an use for this, but maybe I'm blind. I mean, don't we need precision?

It's intended to improve on efficiency and processing power for tasks that don't require 100 percent accuracy, like displaying real time graphics...

As of now they're starting to produce solar powered e-readers with these chips, for use in classrooms in India. The applications seem really promising.
I can see two or more chips working in tandem, one ruling out errors for precision, and efficiency.

Back