• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Greetings All!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itgl72

Greatings all, just popping in to say hello. I've been into computing all my life, and never overclocked. This week I felt the need to explore it. Perhaps to prolong the usability of my gaming PC and also to learn a little more.

I'm running an i7-930 all completely stock. Here is a link to my cpu-z database validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2374320

I'm really just looking to go somewhere in the 3-3.5 area with this i7 930. If I have to, Ill purchase a better cooling system rather than invest in a new MB and CPU right now.

By the way, have a look at that link, I thought for a moment that my multiplier had been wrong all this time when it reported in red "Freq : 1619.3 MHz (134.94 * 12)" but then I recall there is a feature that throttles back in some way, not sure what it was called, or even if I am right.

Anyway, Ill have more questions soon, I have some more reading to do, and have installed some programs as well to monitor.

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

Have a read at this great guide and it will answer all your questions regarding your i7 930 :D

The 1366 is still a formidable platform and I'm still happy with mine. I have no intentions of upgrading or swapping over atm.

So, I've tinkered with this overclocking activity now on and off during the last weeks. I feel more comfortable with it than I did when I started. PC has been running most everything I send at it pretty well. I don't always leave it OC'd though due to cooling. Its not outrageously hot, but, I'm at the point where I'll feel better with a little better cooling to the CPU.

Luckily, my HAF case allows me access to the bottom of the motherboard so I do not have to remove it to add a different cooling option.

I'll start researching, but any recommendations for a quality, fairly priced CPU cooling option for a 930 running in the neighborhood of 3.5 (or less) please do share.

Thanks for all of your help thus far on this forum, great!

Phew! Been busy, in a final semester of a college experience here and just ordering parts. I picked up the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

OK try watching this video to give you some tips and ideas as to OC your CPU to a stable platform! But the most important thing here is your Temps you must watch them very closely. OH try this after you installed the Hyper 212 which will help you a lot. AJ. :thup:

Just take your time look at what he is doing, if need to freeze the video or go back and watch it again. best of luck. :)

Back