• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goonz172

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to overclocking and I'm planning to buy the Asus Rampage IV Extreme. My question is do I need any additional cables to monitor CPU temperatures? What other cables I need to monitor the other temperatures? Is there any other parts or equipment I will need to start overclocking?

Thanks

Hi goonz.

You won't need anything extra. There are already temp sensors in your cpu, so all you need to do is download a temp monitoring program like Realtemp to keep an eye on them.

Other than that, just make sure you buy a -k SKU CPU. If the CPU name doesn't end in K (such as 3570K), you can't overclock it and you'll be a sad camper with a very expensive motherboard!

That's basic overclocking though. If you're wanting to get into really astronomical overclocks and benching (and the motherboard you chose makes me think you might because that's the only reason you'd need that extravagant of a board) then you'd probably be best off talking to a bencher.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When you say to make sure the CPU has a -K at the end, does that mean the i7-3820 cannot be overclocked?

There is no 3820 "K", hence the highest multiplier it supports is x43 = 4.3GHz (turbos to 3.9GHz at the default 100 BCLK and x39 multiplier, and to 4.4GHz using the x44 multiplier). Theoretically it could hit as high as 5.3 GHz w/ a 125 BCLK, but more reasonable would be a 4.63GHz clock using a 125 BCLK and x37 multiplier.

Last edited:
Ah Ok thank you. Then the R4E and i7-3820 would be ok for overclocking if I'm understanding this right?

I've tried reading some of the guides to overclocking and I'm having trouble getting it to overclock to 4.63. I set the bclk to 125 and x37 multiplier. I left all the other settings unchanged because I'm not sure what values I should change to. I read that I need to adjust the voltages? And I set the memory to use XMP, but I don't see a option to set it to DDR1866. It goes from 1666 to 2000. Am I suppose to choose the 1666 or 2000?

I'd appreciate any help and apologize for being a newb.

You need to raise your Vcore for the CPU at 4.63GHz volt 1.30v-1.40v

check your temps with realtemp and post a screen shots of cpu-z memory and SPD

If your running X.M.P it should set your memory automatically.

I've tried raising the Vcore for the CPU from 1.30v - 1.40v but it still doesn't boot up. And when I change the BCLK from 100 to 125, the XMP shows it's DDR3 2333 instead of DDR3 1866. Is that right?

24v4ie1.jpg
70kefq.jpg
6gv1fo.jpg
245njpu.jpg

You need to lower you memory ratio to 889MHz = DDR2 1778 or below.

Do you have XMP profile 1 in memory settings?

Last edited:
Yes, it's set to XMP profile 1 in memory settings. It was set to DDR3 2666 automatically, but I changed it to DDR3 1666. Is that the correct setting?

After changing it to DDR3 1666, it booted up into Windows. I then did some stress test with Prime95. It lasted for about 5 minutes and then I got the Windows blue screen error. How do I correct that? Is my temperature alright for 24/7 use with what I have so far?

35kq5g6.jpg

Your Temps are fine just keep them form going much over 80c. You might need to increase you vcore to keep it from BSOD.

Thanks for the helps. I've managed to get it to 4.63 with temperatures at 70 and below. The Vcore is at 1.35.

Is there any other settings I can do to tweak it? Or just leave everything at the default auto settings? Should I push for more speed?

You could use LLC on high and reduce your Vcore.

Use CPU-Z to match your vcore running full load, so you can match the vcore you have now when you change LLC.

Back