• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creating The Most Outrageous Build Plan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pavin

Hi guys. My friend has landed a good job in dubai and wants me to build the most outrageous build right now.The components are not so cheap there I guess and the last time he bought one for 1000 $ did make him feel ripped off, so I'll get straight to the matter.

What he wants

1. Best gaming rig that can be built now.
2. Set some new benchmark records.
3. Other usual stuff > Photo editing, HD video streaming, etc.

The budget :

1. Anything under 10000 USD is a go as of now.

My best guess for this insane stuff :

Intel® Core™ i7-3770T Processor

Quad GTX 690 setup

Also, is there any way you can put two processor's onto one rig like the quad gpu's.

Please help me out with the other stuff too. :clap: :D Totally excited.

Overall benchmark records aren't gonna happen on anything that could be used daily.

You're talking Liquid Nitrogen cooling and extreme amounts of voltage to break WR's.

However... With that kind of budget... You'll definitely be able to build a sick machine.

A couple things... Quad 690's won't work... Best you could do is 2 690's for Quad SLI... So... I recommend 4 680's if you're really wanting to go all out on GPU.

As for the 3770... Thats Intels "Mainstream" so if you wanting all out... You need to look at the 3930X on 2011 platform.

As for dual processor... Thats super pointless for 99.8% of users. BUT... The options are out there. EVGA makes the SR-X mobo for twin 2011 CPU's.

Lots of options with that budget.... Have some fun researching what you really wanna do.

Sounds like a lot of fun to build this.

You should warn your friend that he will not be setting records.
You cannot buy records.
It takes lots of skill and knowledge. If he does not have the ability to build the system, he certainly does not have the skill to set WR's.

Just let him know so he does not blame you for building him a crappy 10 000 dollar system :shock:

Okay, so the record breaking is out. Anyway, i'm seriously considering 2 cpu's 4 gtx 680's as of now. But could you please tell me why you cant have 4 690's and if 2 690's are better than 4 680's . Okay the quad will definitely have an edge over the other one but in the long run what will be the result?

Also, can i have some suggestions regarding the mobo and ram and the system drive and power supply.

The last thing we need is some kind of bottleneck while oc'ing the crap out of it.

Well, I would definitely go for 32GB or RAM. I mean when it comes down to it, you'll never need it but if you have $10,000 to play with, why not just go absolutely nuts with it. For a power supply, check the suggested listed in the power supply section of the forums. Modular for sure. Will probably want to go with around 1200W

SLI only supports a max of 4 GPUs. The 690 is a dual-GPU card, so you can't use more than two of those. The 690 is basically a 670x2, the 680 is clocked higher, so 680x4 should beat out the 690x2 by a decent margin.

You're also never going to get the PCIe lane capabilities you need on 1155, you have to go 2011 for that.

By the way, are we only limited to consumer hardware? You can easily blow $10K on a dual-CPU WS board where you're dropping $4K just on CPUs.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2687 x2 = $3800
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX680 x4 = $2160
Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS = $600

Oh, but wait, now you don't have any space on the motherboard for a super-fast Revodrive or a really nice sound card.

Point being, even if you're going for the most extreme system, quad-SLI is a complete waste. There's so much more to gain with three GPUs. You have nearly the same gaming power, but now you can add a 960GB Revodrive 3 X2 for almost 1TB of storage with a 1.5GB/s RW speed and a ASUS Xonar Essence STX for some of the best audio quality you can get out of a computer.

However, this reflects my opinion that the best computer isn't the most powerful, but can give you the best possible gaming experience. I'd rather have the fast storage and better sound over a 4th GPU. Someone else might disagree.

With $10,000, there's so many options, that without any further information, determining the best possible solution is almost impossible.

Also, is $10,000 for the tower only, or peripherals as well? With this kind of machine, you'd want the speakers/headphones/mouse/keyboard/monitors to match.

Also, noise? We can make it loud as hell to OC it, but someone wanting a $10,000 also might expect it to be quiet, but that comes at the cost of a bit of performance.

Choices, choices, choices...

Last edited:
FYI - The 690 is two 680's with a lower clock. The SP are the same, bandwidth, etc. Its only clocks.

might as well dual CPU, quad 680, 32gb cas 7 ram (cas 6?), run all SSD's with a separate for OS, Bluray burner, beast case (custom?), liquid CPU cooler (custom?), Liquid GPU cooler (custom?), and lots of PSU to run it all, does this include monitor, mouse, etc.?

EDIT: after thinking about this i also am of the opinion that spending 10K JUST TO SPEND 10k is silly, you can build something beast for 1/2 the price that will do 95% of what a 10K rig will do for most users... whats is POU exactly

Last edited:
Whaaat :eek: ?
Dude, get a $5000 killing machine, and send me the other $5000...
Need to buy my Nissan 350Z :(

No time to spec out full system now, but I'd recommend staying away from dual CPUs. Not only is it pointless for most people, the socket 2011 dual CPU setups aren't capable of overclocking at this point. SNB-E (3960X), ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, 32GB (4x8G) DDR3-2133 memory, plus 4x GTX680s, all water cooled in a Mountain Mods monster would be my thoughts for a killer rig.

You're going to be hard pressed to spend ten grand, not to mention it's frankly bordering on the stupid. You can spend quite a few thousand, but ten grand is pointlessly wasting money.

No time to spec out full system now, but I'd recommend staying away from dual CPUs. Not only is it pointless for most people, the socket 2011 dual CPU setups aren't capable of overclocking at this point. SNB-E (3960X), ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, 32GB (4x8G) DDR3-2133 memory, plus 4x GTX680s, all water cooled in a Mountain Mods monster would be my thoughts for a killer rig.

You're going to be hard pressed to spend ten grand, not to mention it's frankly bordering on the stupid. You can spend quite a few thousand, but ten grand is pointlessly wasting money.

I know right?
Why spend $10k when you can spend $5k and give the other $5k to someone who really needs it :p

Right... after 30 minutes in which I tried to register the information ( the 10k part) I decided to give my two cents... I am a noob still so take my words with a grain of salt...

If I were you I would go for the best setup for whatever he might want to run... and after build the enviorment aka monitor (maybe three for the surround thingy) 7.1 sound system, ultimate gaming mouse/keyboard... and so on!

To be more specific... I would go for a good i7 k (39xx smth is the best you can get from Intel mainstream as far as I know) than I would establish the best SLI available (prolly the 3 linked cards) 32 RAMS just for the sake of it, a big SSD and a big HDD, uber super fantastic sound card, a neat case and cooling system all arround ( starting with CPU + air flow in the case + GPU + hard drive cooling etc etc ). Add a modular power hourse at about 1200 W or even 1500 W if you want to see numbers on steroids... And finish it up with Blu-Ray and a few lights here and there... Did I mentioned the super high big Tower case?

And on top of that, as I said, link 3 monitors, a good 7.1 sound system, bring some nice headsets, mouse and keyboard.

So all in all you would get over 5k but stay quite a bit under 10 k with all these included!

Jesus christ... 10 k O_O :) jsut kidding... if he wants it... than why not? :)
Gl with the rig mate!

And yes, the promo code does put this in budget. :D The leftover cash is for 3 x MSI Twin Frozr GTX680. Main reason this costs so much is the three Dell U3011s (3 x 2500x1600 30" IPS monitors) and a 1TB Revodrive 3 X2 as the OS drive (1.6GB/s read, 1.5GB/s write).

Capture.JPG
1.JPG

Hey guys , thankyou so much for the overwhelming support. And btw any left over cash is welcome. No, i am not planning to buy anything else. This is the alotted budget for the rig only and btw this is the max budget and we would love to keep costs down although the insanely good stuffs wont be left out at any cost. My friend doesnt want multiple monitors nor gaming mouse or keyboard. The only thing to add is a cool sound card. He wants to play it with his basic bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You just cant convince some people otherwise. And about the monitor, he says he wont part with his crazy 60 something led.

Moussa93 -- my friend you obviously havent seen my other posts or threads . I am as broke as my broken bicycle. Lol. Might as well get my friends 1000 dollar rig for free if this build goes smooth.

Thanks again for the contributions

For a more reasonable build, I'd go with this plus 2xGTX680s. 1TB Revodrive for OS + 1TB RAID1 array for storage/backup.

Remember, that SSD is still something like $2K if you want to cut down cost.

Screen Shot 2012-05-23 at 8.44.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-05-23 at 8.44.30 AM.png

I would do the second build by knufire, but with a more moderate 250-500gb SSD, and then maybe raid some HDD for data storage and a pair of 680's and itll be amazing.... 10k is kind of an absurd number.

Some Final specs that I'm planning on:

RAM - G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZHD X 2 = 32 GB total

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked X 4

Motherboard - ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME - LGA2011 - X79 - 8x DIMM - PCIe 3.0 Motherboard

CPU - Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-3960X 3.3 GHz 15MB LGA2011 Processor BX80619I73960X

SSD - Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB X 2

HDD - WD VelociRaptor 1 TB X 2

Case - Cooler Master Haf X

PSU - Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-1200AX

Cooling - Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans . I am still skeptical about this. Might just use a Corsair H 100 CPU cooler instead. But since we are going to OC all components will it be a good idea or is it just overkill.

Monitor X 3 - Dell UltraSharp U3011 30-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor OR Asus VG278H 27-Inch 3D Full-HD LED Monitor with Webcam and Integrated Stereo Speakers. Please help me out here. I convinced him to have this setup. 3 Monitor Setup.

Mice - Razer Mamba 4G.

Keyboard - Razer Black Widow.

Others include a BOSE or Altec Lansing 7.1 audio for this new rig along with a 7.1 soundcard.

Please help out with any new suggestion.Thankyou for the support :)

Last edited:
Back