• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard SSD speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kalosbas

Registered
I am interested in buying either Asus P7H55-M/USB3 or the P7H55D-M PRO.
I was planning to add an ssd drive but i read somewhere that adding an ssd drive on some Asus mobos and activating the motherboard to reach actual ssd drive speeds, will decrease the speed of the gpu pci from x16 to x8. Any information if this is true and which one of the motherboards is best to buy? My setup is
i5-760
Gigabyte Gtx-580 OC
Corsair xms-3 8GB Ram 1600
Asus p7h55-m.

Cant say I have heard of that either. Do you have any links stating that so we can check it out?

I believe what you are you referring to is what ASUS allows you to use an SSD in PCIe slot. Which gives you a higher theoretical rear write speed, but would pinch up bandwidth on your pcie. You don't have to use it, and you won't lose bandwidth.

Buy a SATA SSD and you won't have any issues with any motherboard. If you want a PCIe SSD then you need to do a little homework to make sure you won't have too many problems.

I recommend sticking with SATA.

ok guys thanx, really appreciate the feedback. i'll go with the p7h55-m/usb3 and an intel 60gb ssd.

Back