• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 very low temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RacingTopsy

Hi everyone!

I think it's finally time to oc my q6600 as it's starting to bottleneck the rest of my pc.
(Q6600, 4gb ddr2 mushkin 1066mhz, Asus p5K, Nvidia gtx460)

The problem is that Speedfan (and other programs) read 28°C in idle and 35-38°C under load.
I find that sort of intriguing and gives me the idea the temp reading might be damaged?

I've got a Arctic Freezer 7pro on it.

And is there an idiot proof guide to the q6600 somewhere? I'm totally new to overclocking!

Thanks!

Thanks! Quite forgot that that programme existed! :)
I've got 35/35/27/30 now. can believe that much better. ^^

Thanks for the guide!

Last edited:
coretemp or realtemp are the two people use, i also suggest getting cpuz. if you can give us the stepping listed for the cpu that would help alot. as there are 2 steppings for the Q6600, the B3's while they do oc, they run really hot. the latter G0 steppings run really cool and allow for some nice oc'. with the cooler you have, i dont see getting really high oc's being possible. taking a guess just being cooling limited you may top out at 3.6ghz should the cpu be a G0 stepping. if it were a B3 it would be maybe 3.4ghz if your lucky.

I've luckily got G0 stepping :) I'm actually just aiming for ~3.0Ghz and not much more at the moment.

Thought of buying a Spire Thermax Eclipse II - Are they any good?

Edit:

Do I need to have any BIOS settings enabled/disabled differently from in this howto, as it was written for XP? I've got win7
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Edit2: I can't find "PECI" and "Intel Speedstep" anywhere. Do you think that matters?

Edit3 (lol): I can't seem to find where to the FSB DRAM ratio. searched on google too but it seems to be nowhere by me. Anyone know where it is?

Last edited:
A strange problam is ocurring atm (atleast it's strange for me :p)
after Oc'ing my MoBo started doing a scraping noise. I asked a few people and they thought it may have blown a capacitor, but it should not really bother me.

the system was stable with 1.37v vcore. (set to auto in BIOS)
I thought I'd now lower it a little and see if it's still stable. But as soon as I untick "AUTO" I will get a bluescreen in the first 10 seconds running prime95. (even if i set it to 1.36v by hand)

Has anyone got an idea? tell me if you'd like a screenie of something!

Since you are overclocking by adjusting the FSB speed, you need to make sure that you have the correct ram divider selected so your ram is running at the right speed. As for the voltage, have you tried adjusting other voltages as well such as the north bridge voltage. Are there load line calibration settings, are they enabled? Have you downloaded CPU-Z yet, as it does have the core voltage reading on it, and can tell you if your core voltage "droops" under load. Any of these things could be causing your problem. It will just take some time testing different things until you find the problem. I hope this gives you something to go by.

Back