• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4100 Zambezi Chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poolgool20

OK so check it. I need some help. I just spent a butt load of money getting together components for my new build, but encountered a problem,...I Think.

I have a FX4100 Zambezi chip to put into my unopened ASUS M5a99x EVO Board. I know that my friend 3 months ago did a very similar build but couldn't get the computer to boot correctly due to a BIOS issue. I contacted ASUS for a new BIOS Chip (cause I don;t have another AMD Processor for the socket to flash), but ASUS says that they don't support that chip and the New BIOS Chip will not fix the issue.

Question. Is it true? Their site states that it does support the "locked" 4100 processor and the only thing I can see different between the two is just that. The Model numbers differ like this:

supported by ASUS: FD4100WMW4KGU
unsupported (That I own): FD4100WMGUSBX

Question 2. Can I do anything to make this work? The chip and the motherboard are over the 30 days return policy from Newegg, or do I own a 150 paperweight?

Check this out: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-4100.html

Read down to he notes section which says it us unlocked. What you have is the OEM, non-retail tray version, i.e. not in a box, doesn't come with a cooler. I'm thinking it will work just fine as long as you have bios v. 0813. If your board has an earlier bios version you will need to use another CPU temporarily to download the bios update.

Back