• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6t Deluxe - IDE vs. ACHI Boot Device Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocs

Registered
Hi all,

I've had this set-up for a couple of years. I recently had a hard drive crash, and now I am trying to re-install windows with new drives. When I set the storage configuration in the Bios to IDE - Enhanced, I am able to load the windows installation disk from my optical drive and windows recognizes all of my hard drives. However, when the storage configuration is set to AHCI, I am not able to boot from the windows installation disk1. Instead, I receive the following error:

CD-ROM Boot Priority ..Boot Ready
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I've been searching many forums and I have not been able to find a solution.
It is not the boot priority or anything like that. The only option that is changed is the storage configuration in the Bios. I would like the ACHI setting. Also, all of my hard drives and my optical drive are SATA.

Please help. I do not know what to do next.

Oh, and I just realized that my signature was listing my old hard drive set-up. My new hard drive set-up is listed below.

Should I install Windows in IDE mode, and then worry about switching to AHCI afterwards?

Should I install Windows in IDE mode, and then worry about switching to AHCI afterwards?

I'd try this.

Here's the instructions to switch from IDE to ACHI after install.

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

And...it worked!! Thanks a lot for your help!!! I really appreciate it!!!!

That error means the BIOS can't find a boot loader.
I would get another optical drive and cable and try AHCI again.

Back