• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random shut downs and freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers,

Over the past few months I get intermittent issues with my computer. From time to time the computer will completely shut down and restart and other times everything locks up and I need to manually shut it down with the power button. Upon booting up it asks if i want to enter safe mode because the system did not shut down properly but just continuing to windows always works fine.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and would know what it could point to. My parts are listed in my sig and on a regular basis the computer runs fine, temperatures more than ok and havent noticed any performance issues with it otherwise, ie choppy gameplay for brief periods etc.

Also last night I ran into an issue where it froze and i went to manually shut it down and restart. Windows gave me a dialogue asking if I wanted to run a repair to fix any errors. Kept having trouble booting into windows but got into BIOS fine and set my cpu back to stop speeds, is that typically what happens when an OC isnt stable and people have mentioned the computer not being able to boot into windows? As a side note to that the computer was running fine at the ~4.5ghz for some time (a week or so) with no issues on performance or temperature.

yes those symptoms can be caused by a bad OC but you said you've been having that problem for a few months and only overclocked for a week or so,so i would look elsewhere.i would test your ram with memtest,maybe try your video card out in another pc is it overclocked as well?and if possable try your cpu in another system as well to rule it out.also wouldn't hurt to scan your registry/update drivers/bios/

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to try what I can when I get home. Also is there anything settings wise I should check in my bios? Like if the computers shutting down because the system tripped a setting?

you could just reset the bios to default then set your ram back to XMP profile for 1600 ram,it would probably be your best bet.

Back