• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games still locking up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I had a problem where my games would severly lag out, all of a sudden it would go from normal to no response for 10-15 seconds then play normal then do the same thing again.

I was having other problems with my computer so I replaced Vista with windows 7 and thought that was the end of it.

Now my computer is acting a little different, the games play slowly then stop responding, another difference is my entire computer locks up now. Then it goes back to normal. It even does it out of games now (not nearly as bad). I've got a second monitor so I've got my cpu monitor going and my cpu isn't taxed at all, ram either. I'm gonna open up msi afterburner and put my cpu temp up too to see whats going on.

Any thoughts?

Ok I'm not sure what the deal is, it looks like when diablo3 locks up my gpu and cpu usage drops off like it's not doing anything, both to 0% or close to it. Alt tab releases full screen so I can move my mouse onto my second monitor and move things around but my main screen keeps a frozen display of the game.

I'm not sure if this is software or hardware, I really don't want to return this gpu cause I got it from newegg.

I had something very similar happen to me about a year ago. Computer would lock up completly or partially (a few threads would lock up or only the mouse would work, etc.)

I tried pretty much everything but in the end, replacing my SSD fixed it. For some reason the ssd would stop reading data and it would freeze everything else. It's a shame because it was the 2nd SSD to do that (different builds, first was OCZ Vertex 1, the second was an Intel X25-M 120GB)

Well I got into eve online and just so happens one of the guys in chat was also a computer guy and he started throwing every possibility at me, almost all of it I dismissed because I'd allready gone through it but he had me check my catalyst control center version and it was old (even though I'd allready uninstalled the old and reinstalled the new).

So I completely uninstalled CCC and my display wouldn't work, i'm on a complete fresh install now and didn't even bother with my driver disk, went straight to AMD and I think that did it, I've got my games installing now so i'll know better later.

I'm glad you found the source. As I said, that kind of problem is usually pretty hard to troubleshoot because it can be just about anything.

Oh and you should always skip driver cd, they never work. Grab the latest versions from the internet, preferably in advance, on a usb drive (useful when the ethernet controller isn't recognized by windows with the default drivers).

The only time I used a driver cd was when I reformatted my father's laptop because those awful drivers are split in 10 or so packages and they have to be installed in a rather specific order. I use the cd to figure out the order and then I got the new versions off the internet (the autoupdater they supplied never worked).

Wow 10 packages in a specific order, lol thats not very user friendly.

What little gaming I had time for today it ran fine, but then again it was doing that before. It's probably just a coincodence but later in the day games would run fine, early in the morning they would lock up. Kinda odd how that worked out.

Then keep in mind that it may be temperature related. I'm not saying it is but it's a common cause for intermittent problems.

EDIT:
Are you sure you don't have any scheduled tasks running in the morning like an antivirus or a daily/weekly defrag? They don't usually start if the computer is not idle but it's still a possibility.

Last edited:
Well I got to game a little more today and it's locking up a little bit, out of two lol games it froze for 10 seconds at the end of one. In eve I was sitting in the lobby and it locked up repeatedly then stopped. Also the weird thing is that it actually locked up outside of a game once or twice but it really hasn't done that before.

On the last install I had msi afterburner watching gpu temps and they were fine, I also had real temp watching cpu and that was fine.

I'm starting to suspect something isn't happy with a motherboard setting. I have everything at default but with the onboard graphics I don't know what to be setting it as, i'm gonna look more into that.

I guess it could be anything really, i'm hoping it's not hardware related, infact if I had to guess it's not hardware, could be though.

I haven't set anything to schedule, it's a fresh install and I haven't told it to do anything. Only background things i've got are updates and antivirus. (I did install avg today so maybe thats causing problems)

I have msi kombuster running along with prime 95 to see if I get any errors.

What i'm wondering, does kombuster check for errors or is it just a heat and load generator?

I want to load up every part of my system and watch for errors to see if it's a hardware issue.

cpu ram gpu hdd

I've got all but the hdd covered so far and everything looks fine

I don't think it's a resource issue because you'd expect the system to lag not lock up, plus when I watch my gpu and cpu load they instantly drop to almost idle as if they're not doing anything.

I also downclocked my memory from 1600 to 1333 from advice of a friend but I don't think thats the issue, systems are completely capable at running memory higher then 1333. But he insisted it's because my memory is higher then what the cpu is supposed to be at. I find fault in his logic but i'm humoring him.

Could it be an internet problem?

Sorry missed your post

I'm pretty sure it's not internet because everything but the mouse locks up, not just response but a freeze. Also the gpu and cpu drop to idle during this.

ok well I put my old x1900xt into this computer and it's running just fine so it must be either a gpu hardware or software issue. Just to make sure I don't end up with either again I'm returning the gpu and ordered an evga xfx 560ti so theres no way I end up with a driver issue and with some luck no hardware problems.

I would Roll Back one gen from 12.4. 12.4 has a lot of issues just look at the other posts here:) Also if the problem is fixed when you pull out the graphics card you should 1. put it in another comp//fresh install your OS to rule out software issues. and/or 2) RMA it to the manufacture most manufactures will replace the card if its 2y/o or less. It sounds like you might of burnt out the memory on your graphics card (different then the GPU temp and does not have a temp probe for your viewing pleasure)

but like other say this can also be anything. here are some troubleshooting tips:

AMD Overdirve has a CPU test run it for an hour.
change your RAM and/or change the slots the ram is physically in
Run a memory Test
Run Furmark to test your GPU
Update your Graphics card BIOS (You will have to call/contact the manufacture and ask for one to be e-mailed to you)
update your MOBO BIOS (Normally online at the MOBO manufactures website)
Get a small/cheap HD and test it with a game on it

Well the gpu is in the mail back and an nvidia will be here in a few days

You sure don't waste time haha. I'm surprised you were able to get an RMA approved that quickly.

I contacted newegg to see if they have tech support and they told me I only had 3 days remaining to rma if I was going to, so I wasn't going to waste that time diagnosing and end up with a potentially bad card.

Back