• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Editing Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

Hey guys i need a critique on this build for a client:
max budget $1000
Use: Video editing and Music production (she is a DJ)
Programs used: mixemergency and serato scratch live
Wants it to be a Small Form Factor pc with a handle to carry the pc (needs to be portable)

Do you all think that that i need a gpu?

I am thinking about going with a

2011 cpu (3930k)
Gigabyte ud7
16gb ram
500 watt corsair cx psu
chepo cd drive
*she says she has a HDD already
case: what you you all recommend?

Should i go with this 2011 setup or should 1155 be enough?

If you want it to be SFF then go with a mATX board for starters, also for with an 1155 setup since 2011 stuff is 130 Watt TDP. Way harder to cool, compared to a 77 Watt Ivy setup.

Overall, I would say 1155 since it is easier to make work in SFF, and has an iGPU so you won't have to worry about a GPU possibly.

I would go that route. It doesn't overclock as far as sandy bridge. But it has a far better iGPU, also in a SFF overclocking isn't a priority.

So yes, Ivy.

You NEED a sound card. A high end one, probably with a MIDI interface.

Why 2011, especially on a $1000 budget? Especially since SFF comes with a premium, since slim optical drives and mini-ITX/small mATX cases tend to be a bit expensive. You won't fit it within $1000.

okay but if i can get a h80 in a sff should i go with the 2011?

no, $500 for a 3930k and $250 for a mobo. there goes 75% of the budget. Plus the ~$120 for ram.

Also as Knufire said a sound card is gonna be a must for the sound production/DJ part.

I'd go with this. I just threw one of the more expensive looking sound cards that just gave me more of a production impression than most sound cards, which is playback. With a 3770K, this should be about $1000.

However, you need to do more research on what sound card/hardware she needs to interface with all of her equipment. Audio technology is an entire massive field that doesn't have a huge knowledge base here at OCF.

Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 11.11.27 PM.png

Back