• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX6100 or FX8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mak1290

Registered
Currently FX6100 is available in india at 155$ and FX8150 at 216$.Which one would be better to go for?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

For what purpose? Gaming only? The FX6100 should be fine.. For heavily threaded apps; then the 8150 is the better buy.

What motherboard do you have? Assuming you have this system already? If you don't Intel! :p

I dont hve dis systm currently..I hve to buy..For AMD i have choosen Asus M5A97 PRO Motherboard..FX 8150 currently costing me 37$ cheaper than i5 2500K in an offer..So shud i go for it or still go for 2500K??
Also suggest gud motherboard if any n cpu cooling..

Do you plan to overclock?

I personally would buy the 2500K over any AMD processor.. It's worth the extra. Less power draw; lower temps (comparatively/relatively), easier to OC; etc. AMD has very little to offer right now.

But if you're not overclocking; a i5 2320/2400/3450 could be a good option. Then you can save money on the motherboard with say a H77 board too.. Etc.

yes i will surely overclock..Ok..so i should not go for AmD 8150??
How is this motherboard and cpu cooler for intel 2500k?
ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Motherboard and Cooler marter hyper 212 evo cooler..

Sounds perfect. They're good parts together. If you can find the Extreme 3 model; or the Z77 Extreme 4 for a good price; I'd go that.

But the Z68 Pro3 Gen 3 + Hyper 212 Evo + 2500K will suit you well for a long while to come! I would DEFINITELY pick the 2500K over the 8150. The Hyper 212 Evo will easily take the 2500K to 4.5ghz as well. There's a guide here on the forum for basic step by step overclocking for most 2500/2600/2700k's on Z68 boards as well!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

Here it is!

When you factor in that he already has a compatible mainboard, then he's better off going with either an FX6100 or an FX8120.

If you were buying a mainboard also however, I'd recommend going with an i5 2500k instead. You need to spend more on cooling to get a decent overclock out of AMD's current chips. High en air, closed loop (H100) or custom water basically.

When you factor in that he already has a compatible mainboard, then he's better off going with either an FX6100 or an FX8120.

If you were buying a mainboard also however, I'd recommend going with an i5 2500k instead. You need to spend more on cooling to get a decent overclock out of AMD's current chips. High en air, closed loop (H100) or custom water basically.

I asked him this and he has not bought anything yet at this stage from what I understand. Hence the 2500k route. I like amd. But at this point in the race I find them hard to recommend. Not for these types of rigs.

Ah, my bad. I skim read a bit and recognized the board he listed as a BD compatible board.

If buying right now, stick with Intel. The extra cooling you currently need to oc AMD negates the cost advantage

I have just bought nt nw but earlier few months b4 Corsair tx650 smps and an sapphare radeon hd 5670gpu.rest all i have to buy..
I planned for fx8150 as curently its 37$ chaeper then 2500k .I thought i could gain good performence then 2500k by 8150 at 5ghz overclocking via cooler master 212 evo and Asus
M5A97 PRO Motherboard

So 2500k can be overclocked at 4.5 ghz easily via ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Motherboard
and Cooler marter hyper 212 evo cooler..

No. Your 8150 will not hit 5ghz under a hyper EVO. No chance. (Not with reasonable temps).

Remember the 2500k is also faster clock for clock. Each of its cores is a fair bit faster than a single amd core.

Yes 2500k will hit 4.5ghz easily enough with that board and cooler.

by 8150 at 5ghz overclocking via cooler master 212 evo

I really think now that after almost a year after BD release that the idea of 5Ghz from FX-processor on air is a joke for about 95% of those with BD processor. 4.2 to 4.4Ghz is about the max we have seen in this forum section when tested for stablity.

Ok.Thank You :ty: :grouphug:
.I'll go for i5 2500K with ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Motherboard
and Cooler marter hyper 212 evo cooler..

Do you plan to overclock?

I personally would buy the 2500K over any AMD processor.. It's worth the extra. Less power draw; lower temps (comparatively/relatively), easier to OC; etc. AMD has very little to offer right now.

But if you're not overclocking; a i5 2320/2400/3450 could be a good option. Then you can save money on the motherboard with say a H77 board too.. Etc.

The i3 chips are very good as well. No slouches.

Correct, no chance with a that cooling. You need either high end air, closed loop or custom water for a decent overclock by which point the Intel setup is cheaper.

ok guys so I am trying to make the same decision.
and I have to say that I agree with you about the fx-8150 vs the 2500k but my only question is what about the fx-8120 i heard it is the exact same chip but clocked low?
if that is true than the fx-8120 is only $170 on new egg and the 2500k is 220 thats $50

here is the 2500k for only $200 which I am thinking about
pairing with a biostar mobo for $100 after MIR.

breaking me even $300 intell
my only thought is will that mobo give me a good OC?

with the FX-8150 I could get this $270 combo
but will that get me a good OC?

both builds I would start with air cooling like hyper 212.

what motherboard would you suggest?

what if you get the fx-8120 instead of the fx-8150 and the got the high end sabortooth combo whould it give me a lot more OCing Abilities?

since I am going to be doing video production like in after effects and PP I should prob just get a whole lota ram with the extra money :/

It's clocked lower, and has likely been binned lower. It generally shouldn't clock quite as high as the FX-8150 however they'll generally go close enough.

My recommendation really is the 2500K though. I re evaluate whether that remains the case when Piledriver chips are available. If they require less cooling and less power to overclock then my beliefs may change.

It's clocked lower, and has likely been binned lower. It generally shouldn't clock quite as high as the FX-8150 however they'll generally go close enough.

My recommendation really is the 2500K though. I re evaluate whether that remains the case when Piledriver chips are available. If they require less cooling and less power to overclock then my beliefs may change.

A very thoughtful position. I like it. :D

I thought I would let you know what I ended up doing. it might help anyone who is reading this.

I got the i5 2500k the biostar tz77xe3 lga Mobo and 16bg of 1600 mhz ram!

all for $385 I am excited it will prob get here b4 the end of the week.

also i should add that the 2500k has a $15 off promo at newegg making it $205

Back