• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD / ATI heat ranges

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvrsummer2

Hey all, my first post. I have a few questions about heat i am hoping you guys can answer.

What software do you use to measure temps on CPU and GPU?

I am a gamer. What temps are normal for an AMD Phenom x4 @ 2.6ghz 965BE? I am looking to build a new PC but want to use this one for reference. How about for an ATI Radeon 4870 1Gb 256bit?

I am upgrading to:
AMD Phenom II 980 3.7, W/ Corsair H80 cooler
Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR3 1866
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX MOBO
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB / WD 1TBx2 HD's as well
PC Power and cooling MKII 750w PSU
Cooloer Master Storm Scout Case

I use HWmonitor and HWinfo for CPU and MSI afterburner for GPU temps and GPU usage.

I don't think you are going to see an improvement moving up from the 965 to the 980. Difference of about 300 Mhz, which you could easily close with an Overclock.

oops, should have said 9950, Original Phenom Agena. So going from 2.6 to 3.7.

Big jump in FSB with mobo too, Going from Biostar TA790gx

I used HwInfo64 and it said my 4870 was getting up to 82c on 100% fan. Thats hot but apparently the norm for these. Im going to transfer it to the new build, but upgrade to two GPU's in SLi or Crossfire down the road.

Ahh, now that's different :p

Yeah, I had 4870Ms in my old laptop, and they always ran right on the cusp of 90 degrees after overclocking.

Back