• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me! I am a newbie!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

looking4ghe

hi, I'm new to the forum and know nothing about computer.
My current set up is:
i7-3820 cpu
agility 3 120gb ssd
hyper 212 evo cpu fan
asrock x79 extreme4-M motherboard
evga geforce GTX 680 Superclock graphic card.

I can't decide which ram to buy for my set up. I know that I want to get 2 x 8gb sticks for now, so if i need more, I can add 2 more later on. Also which powersupply is good and reliable, and I want a blueray copier as well. Please guide me. I've done alot of research on google and found nothing but this forum. Oh yeah, the listed items above is already purchased, I only need ram, powersupply, and blueray drive. Thanks so much guys!!:)

you are going to want 4 sticks of ram for that system so it can run in its native quad channel memory 4x4 sticks will be faster then 2x8 on that system and shouldn't really be any need to get over 16 gigs these days unless your running some major memory sucking programs i can run just about anything and only use like 25% ram with 16 gigs. as far as power supply's go i would get a corsair psu.

I went with 600W GS from Corsair. But I hear TX series are even better. So yeah, get a Corsair. At the moment it seems like they are the way to go when compared to the other manfactors!

Edit: From the all knowledgeable Knufire ( he posted this in anther thread)

"Check the recommended PSU list for the best of the best. Also, I personally only trust reviews from [H]ardOCP, Hardware Secrets, or even better, JonnyGuru. If you can't find a review of a PSU on either of those three websites, DON'T buy it."

here is the list: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

... you heard the man!

Last edited:
so.. 4x4 is good enough for diablo 3 right? because this is what I'm building it for. Does the 2133 speed on it matters or I can just run 1600? What about the antec NEW power 750W psu? Is it ok to buy as well?

yea 4x4 will be way more ram than you'll uses in diablo 3 and antec psu's are good=)

should i buy the 2133 ram for overclocking or just stick with any cheap 1600 rams 4x4?

Just stick with 1600, RAM speed can make a difference of like 1FPS, lol. Diablo 3 doesn't even need an amazing computer to run, you can easily max out the game.

You don't have to go 4 sticks either, two will run in dual-channel, and better to leave some room to upgrade in the future.

This PSU gives you room to add another GTX680 in the future, if you so wish. Also comes with a solid set of RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.917829

Last edited:
you are my HERO! thank you thank you thank you! Now all I need left is a blueray drive that can copy stuff. Any suggestions? =)

If you haven't bought the system already. May I suggest a z77 board Asrock Extreme 4 and a 2500k or 3570k? I see little point to spend extra on the lga 2011 platform just for a gaming rig.

Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
2500k/3570K if OC'ing. If not drop the board as well to a H77 or something; and grab i5 3450 or something (D3 really doesn't need much lol).
GTX 670 is more than enough for a single screen 1080p gaming; and most can be OC'd to 680 stock levels anyway very easily. (If you can; the Asus DCUII GTX 670 is a great card! the TOP version comes at 680 speeds by default as well!)
Etc etc. LGA 2011 is more higher end enthusiast as well as rendering machines and what not. General gaming machines with no real other purpose should stick with the Z68/Z77 (LGA 1155 platform). =).

Save money where you can; always. Computer hardware changes too much and too quickly to make really big buys worth it unless you're an all out enthusiast.

You don't have to go 4 sticks either, two will run in quad-channel, and better to leave some room to upgrade in the future.

ive never heard that before i would think it would be imposable to run two sticks in quad channel as all it does is combine all 4 sticks to increase the bandwidth how could two sticks together = the same bandwidth as 4 sticks?
furthermore i would think using dual channel ram would kind of defeat the purpose of getting lga2011.

ive never heard that before i would think it would be imposable to run two sticks in quad channel as all it does is combine all 4 sticks to increase the bandwidth how could two sticks together = the same bandwidth as 4 sticks?
furthermore i would think using duel channel ram would kind of defeat the purpose of getting lga2011.

Wow, total brain fart, I was thinking dual channel when I typed that. You're right about the bandwidth, except:

1. No gaming benefit in the increased bandwidth
2. No point in getting LGA2011 for gaming.

haha its ok i do it all the time:)
tho i see some benefit for for gaming with future proofing with 40 pci 3.0 lanes,tho probably not the near future lol :)

Lol true, if you want to go quad CFX/SLI, I guess you don't have many other options. :p But if you're spending that much money on GPUs, I don't think price/performance is your main concern...

like i said, i know nothing about computer. This will be my first computer that I will put together (my friend does the work), so I want it to last a while. He did suggested i5 cpu but I told him I want the best of the best only! So this is what he told me to buy, already cutting back alot on budgets from the things I really wanted.

Back