• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 9800 GT OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gosna

first ill give you the lowdown on my setup, since i cant figure out how to add a signature :/
Mobo-ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ w/ UEFI BIOs

CPU-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz w/ ZALMAN CNPS10XEXTREME 120mm 2 Ball-Bearing CPU Cooler

RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
Cas Latency: 9
Voltage: 1.5V
Timing: 9-9-9-24

Power supply- OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply

HDD-Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM SATA drive

Optical- DVD burner

OS-Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition

gfx card-EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 as primary and EVGA 9800 GT as backup

Case- COOLER MASTER HAF X Full ATX Tower

think that covers it. now i got bored and started overclocking my EVGA 9800 GT. Im curious as to why i got such a large OC from my memory while still being air cooled compared to other OC's ive seen with the same card GPU-Z info included.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/bg6kx/

Welcome! (Sigs require a couple of posts)

Every set CPU's, GPU's and in this case, Memory IC's are different. You have some great clocking ram... though, I dont understand what it means to be a 'backup' card as its not doing anything in your system unless you have it running PhysX?

Have you tried putting a load on the card to see if it can actually do anything at that memory clock?

back up is in case i ever need to RMA my big momma lol, but yes, ive played MW3 with it and it runs surprisingly well, ive put it on furmark for 10min, ati tools artifact check for 3 hours, and MSI afterburner

Would my GTX560 even benefit having my 9800gt as a physx card? and also my heat tapers off at 69 Celsius and ping pongs between 69-70 at full load, but thats when its out of my fridge (i bought a cheap mini fridge and i normally shove my tower in there on hot summer days, drilled holes in the back to let my cords come out lol, i know, lame, but works)

Do you play any PhysX games? Then it would help a bit. But IMO, not worth it.

mini fridge ehh? That thing will die fast as they are not made to cool a sustained heat load.

lol, used it for a year and nothing broke so far, best 30 bucks i ever gave to a collage student!
Cool, well at least i know i have a decent 9800gt card XD the clocks are pretty nice, though i wish i could get a better shader clock out of it, i cant go up much more without getting artifacts on all clocks, im basically maxed out unless i water cool/volt mod maybe.
This is basically me playing with overclocks, been learning about it for about 8 months now, this is my first physical application thus far.

Lol i was just playing with it, im actually building a pc with this card as a dedicated folding pc, just something to do with my spare time

Gosna.... -_- don't use a mini fridge... condensation will create, and then you crap will die... Also... erm.. if I read correctly, did you ask why you got a high OC from memory on air? o_O do you even have ram sinks? you're gunna kill that card...... are you overvolting?

no over volting, no heat sinks, temp stays at 60 degrees Celsius at full load, but i do have a full tower master cooler with 7 120mm fans not to mention my 92mm cpu cooler lol, and 3 boxes of arm n' hammer baking soda has kept the fridge very condensation free for over a year now, no probs. i didnt put my baby in there before testing it for 2 months with a Emachines desktop XD.

-edit
i have tested for any artifacts for a 46 hour period now with no issues, at a 45-75% load throughout, this card is also a enclosed type card with a large fan (dont remember size off hand) so i think that overall, with my mastercooler case (case wasnt cheap, its a 200$ case) keeps it cool, it pushes ALOT of air..

Back