• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Advise New SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laoag24

Since I can't find another gtx 480 to go sli with my current one. I decided to try out an ssd since I never owned one.

I read through forums and came out that the best price/performance is the 120gb mushkin chronus; however, there are lots of cons that comes with it. Drive failure, not meeting advertised speeds,etc.

Given the price of $96, I can get it for $105 including an 1 year warranty. So if something goes wrong within that year of usage I can just simply return it for another one.

My second option is just get an Kingston Hyper 3k SSD 90gb for $108, roughly the same price as the mushkin with a year warranty.

Please, any advise are appreciated.

Thank you

i have the cronous and its actually the only ssd that ive bought so far that actually has ran at the advertized speeds.they and all ssd's that had the sandforce controller had problems at first but have been long fixed from a firmware update.also keep in mind that some people who buy one and claim to not get the rated speeds probably dont have a motherboard capable of those speeds or set the drive up wrong.i would go with the mushkin drive im loving mine so far.

Last edited:
i have the cronous and its actually the only ssd that ive bought so far that actually has ran at the advertized speeds.they and all ssd's that had the sandforce controller had problems at first but have been long fixed from a firmware update.also keep in mind that some people who buy one and claim to not get the rated speeds probably dont have a motherboard capable of those speeds or set the drive up wrong.i would go with the mushkin drive im loving mine so far.

+1

I have the 120 as well and have had no issues. Was actually about to buy the 60GB version for my mini PC :D

i'd get either the mushkin or the m4 amazon has it for $109. The advertised speeds things is really people who are expecting speeds based on sata3 when they are using sata 2 port.

I dont even want that GPU for free, it would burn down my mini PC and its gonna explode after. One of the most inefficient cards ever made in the past 5 years at least.

I rather stay away from Sandforce drivers, they are suspicious. Of course they are cheap, the issues kinda caused the market to reduce its demand. So the drives dropped over 30% in price in less than a year.

Or the price dropped over time like all tech prices do, especially recently to make way for the new generation of drives?

The old GPUs dropped in price because the new GPUs are performing much better in many spots, so the reason is clearly known.

However, the new drives are barely performing better at all. The only true reason the old drives dropped so much is because of stability issues. But finally, since the new drives arnt performing better, the price kinda isnt going up anymore and we kinda will get a new shape of SSD price. But whats more important, newer drives seems to have the issues fixed, no matter its firmware. I still would be careful using Sandforce, and rather use some secure approach. Making sure they truly fixed all the issues.

Last edited:
one of the main reasons the price is dropping is because some of the "big" players have decided that they would start a price war to force the smaller competition out of the marketplace.

one of the main reasons the price is dropping is because some of the "big" players have decided that they would start a price war to force the smaller competition out of the marketplace.

Last time I checked, that's illegal in the United States according to antitrust laws. :p

Back