• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem issue, ISP being PITA.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aibo

Registered
Hey all, I'm simply looking for some general ideas as to why my modem would be restarting itself.

Tech support with my ISP says there's nothing wrong with my modem, it's signal strength though at the upper limit is still within specs, and they see no service drop when the modem restarts.

My ISP is being a bit lazy with sending someone out and implying I'm just delusional.

Normal Modem operation
PWR solid
Send solid
Receive Solid
Online Solid
PC activity flashing

When it reboots PC activity nevers turns off, but all the other lights do their normal procedure.

It's plugged into the wall snuggly, so it's not hanging there teetering in and out of the socket thus causing it to restart.

The tech told me to take my router out of the equation and said it's probably my router dropping connection rather my modem, while I can blatantly see my modem is restarting, any who I just connected my ethernet from the modem directly to my desktop and it still does the same restart.

I only know so much here so I did little things to see if it would help. I ensured all wires are snuggly connected to the modem and router, I went into the basement to ensure the coax cables are all on snug.

I'm going to demand they come out soon and check it out as they told me to "give it a day" after I plugged it the modem directly into my computer.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

just have them send out a modem replacement, assuming this is something like att dsl/uverse or timewarners box. something is going on with the box, no one is really needed unless they need to give the serial number to a rep to get it going like with my TWC internet box. of all the years i used the first DSL modem from SWBELL even to just about a yr ago, never had one problem. much less anything going on with the uverse box my parents have or with my TWC box.

my thoughts could be you had a brown out or power surge that got something in the modem going hinky.

Back