• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

push / pull set up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alligatorblood

from a push / pull set-up

is it

fans with the air flow arrow facing down
then the rad
fans with the air flow arrow facing up?

the fans airflow is in the same direction, you just have one fan on each side of the radiator.

↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
=== (radiator)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)

The term push/pull is relative from the radiator perspective.

-H

Here's a question. How do I do a push/pull setup with a CM 212 plus and 2 fans. Both fans are the same fans that come with the 212. With that in mind, both fans are push. But with the mounting feet, I can only do a push push
↑↑↑(fan 1)
==(radiator)
↓↓↓(fan 2)

Does that mean I'm screwed?

Here's a question. How do I do a push/pull setup with a CM 212 plus and 2 fans. Both fans are the same fans that come with the 212. With that in mind, both fans are push. But with the mounting feet, I can only do a push push
↑↑↑(fan 1)
==(radiator)
↓↓↓(fan 2)

Does that mean I'm screwed?

If this is your case, then don't use both fans. When you have a fan setup like this your airflow is basically a big fat 0. Think about 2 guys with equal strength pulling a rope in opposite directions. What happens? Nothing, just like your fans.

-H

alright thanks, soo its always like

↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
=== (radiator)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)

???

and arent all fans push / pull, you just turn them around?

Last edited:
alright thanks, soo its always like

↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
=== (radiator)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)

???

Yes, well technically it could be

↓↓↓ (airflow)
== (radiator)
↓↓↓ (airflow)

but I think you get the idea.
And yes all fans are fans are fans lol. Push/Pull is only in reference to airflow.

-H

what one is better

↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
=== (radiator)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)

or the

↓↓↓ (airflow)
== (radiator)
↓↓↓ (airflow)

?

Where most people overclock to, it doesnt matter. I would have proper airflow before I worried about bringing air in from the outside just to have a degree or two cooler CPU.

Keep the rad up top and airflow as exhaust.

And if you don't have the space for it, but still want the push/pull, you could do

↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
---- (top of case)
=== (radiator)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)

-H

ooo (fan grills)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
---- (top of case)
=== (radiator)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)

Don't want to get your finger stuck in one. :D

ooo (fan grills)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
---- (top of case)
=== (radiator)
: : : : (shroud)
↑↑↑ (fan airflow)
ooo (fan grills)

Don't forget the shroud! :p

If you put the fan right on the radiator, then there's no air moving in the center of the fan where the motor is. A shroud just holds the fan a few mm away from the radiator to reduce that dead spot that EarthDog mentioned.

Correct!
Yup. Push/pull just means you put fans on both sides of the radiator rather than having fans on only one side pushing or pulling.

Back