• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon processor - any good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi there im getting really confused trying to choose a processor - i keep seeing intel xeons on ebay for great prices but are they really any good and can they be used for building a intermediated gamer pc.

This is the one i saw - any help would be great

Intel Xeon E5420 Quad Core 2.5Ghz 12Mb Cache is it worth the £50

here's the original link if you wanna take a look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-E53..._Processors&hash=item257014116f#ht_894wt_1109

Xeon is same thing as regular chips but possibly binned better to run lower voltage. Otherwise, its the same thing essentially. Just make sure whatever board its going in supports it as not all do.

so would this xeon that mentioned above be better than say

AMD A4-3400 2.70GHz Accelerated Processor Unit
or
Intel Pentium G620 2.60GHz

I think its better than both. One is a low powered APU, and the other intel chip is a dual core vs the quad you listed.

Also, you are spanning across different sockets. I think the best bet to help you out is to list your budget, anything that may be carried over from an old PC, and we get you the best bang for you buck.

Well im looking to spend roughly

£55 on the cpu
£35 on the gpu
£20 on a power supply
£45 on the mother board
£40 on the ram

I can only bring over the case, dvd drive and hdd

Ouch... the thing you DONT want to cheap out on is the PSU... 20 is a cheap PSU. Yikes.

I assume you will not be playing games? Is this just a web/email basic use PC?

Im going with the total, in USD (since we are US based and that is all the sites I know) and build ya something.. hang tight......

Athlon x2 250 Regor 3Ghz - $53
BIOSTAR A780L3B - $45
2x2GB DDR3 1333 Mhz Ram - $21
Corsair CX430 PSU - $45
7770 GPU - $130

Total = $294 USD

Im assuming you game so the card is the best I could get with the money.

Last edited:
Oh i didn't think the psu was that important - i must have been completely mistaken - im only looking to play transport tycoon and civilization 4 so some real basic controls

Back