• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question. Please help! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImEagles

So i'm going to buy an EVGA 680 FTW edition which requires a 6 + 8 pin connector. I've located my PSU cables and i'm a little confused about something. On the end of the cable that goes to the PSU is only a single 12 pin connector, but on the side that goes to the video card has two 6 + 2 pin connectors, totaling 16 pins. Since the 680 i'm getting requires a total of 14 pins (6 + 8), can i use 14 pins even though the connector to the PSU only has 12?

P.S. My power supply is the Corsair AX 850
Thanks in advance

Yup. Two of the 8 pins of a 8p (or 6+2P) GPU power connector only serve to sense that the connector is plugged in.
On a 6p connector one of the pins is used for that.
The end result is that you have three +12V pins on either connector, and either two ground pins (6p) or three ground pins (8p/6+2P), plus the sense pins.
On the PSU end it only dedicates pins to the actual +12V and GND pins, the two sense pins are connected to one of the GND pins somewhere between connector and connector.

In short, it's all good.

Thank you! I really didn't want to break my 680 so I was just checking.

Back