• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microcenter G2 64gb ssd: can't install Win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Hi, I recently got this g2 ssd (the Microcenter branded s599's) and I can't install Windows on it.
The drive appears on my install of Win7 (it's for a friend's pc, I already have an OS on an hdd). I can copy stuff to it and use it, it also appears in the bios ide configuration.
I tried these things:

-Unplugging other sata drives
-Using either IDE or AHCI
-Formatting it
-Updating the firmware (couldn't do so...)

Still, the drive won't show up in the drives list of Windows 7's setup program.
Any thoughts on this?

(rma'ing the drive is not an option, I'm in Argentina)

Does windows 7 see ANY hard drives during setup? Is the issue only limited to the SSD? If not, setup might need the motherboard's hard drive controller drivers loaded.

Does windows 7 see ANY hard drives during setup? Is the issue only limited to the SSD? If not, setup might need the motherboard's hard drive controller drivers loaded.

It does see the other hdd's, but not the SSD.
I didn't try to load the board drive controllers though...

I would check and make sure that the sata port is bootable, you should be able to find that in the motherboard manual.

I'm using the first one, and I already can boot regular hdd's from there.
I'll check the manual anyways, just to be sure.
What's odd is that the drive works under another Windows install.

Are you plugged into an Intel port or a Marvel port?

Make sure to use an Intel port, and disconnect all other Sata devices except the optical drive (so you can install Windows).

Make sure you are in AHCI mode. Keep in mind that there are 2 Sata controllers on the mobo and 2 different areas in the BIOS where you can select the mode (IDE, AHCI, RAID); 1 for each controller.

Back