• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build $1500 (w/o displays)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickCR

Hi All!

Looking to get a new system and I got $1500 to spend on it.

Here is what I'm planning so far:

$200 - Full Tower (HAF X or the like) [ sourced in CR ]
$100 - Corsair 16GB Vengence Black Low Profile (avoid problems with air cooling)
$100 - Corsair H80 (CPU COOLER)
$140 - Corsair HX750 (PSU)

$526 - XFX 7970 Black Edition 3GB (?)

Buying parts from Amazon, need suggestions on CPU, Mother Board, Video Card

How about something like this. Sorry it is on Newegg and a little over your budget, but this is something I would do.
picture.php
And why would you get low profile ram with the h80? Just a question, cause you said with air cooling.

How about something like this. Sorry it is on Newegg and a little over your budget, but this is something I would do.

He can't order from Newegg, he's from Costa Rica.

I would go with this. This leaves you $170 from a case sourced in CR. Also, I'm assuming you don't need a hard drive or SSD because you didn't say you needed any.

Capture.JPG

Problem with the Nvidia is that it really only supports 2 displays at a time. I need at least 4 at a time so it would be better to go ATI.

With the display ports on the Z77 I think I could get 6 displays going.

Would like a SSD as well sorry for not mentioning either point earlier.

Problem with the Nvidia is that it really only supports 2 displays at a time. I need at least 4 at a time so it would be better to go ATI.

With the display ports on the Z77 I think I could get 6 displays going.

Would like a SSD as well sorry for not mentioning either point earlier.

A gtx 670 supports 3 displays in surround plus an extra spare actually ;)

Just a couple really quick last questions.

My luck with Video Cards hasn't been so great. Not sure if maybe it's the heat down here in CR but I like cards with a lifetime waranty. Do any of the GTX 670 models have lifetime?

Also I see a few GTX 670 at the $400 mark. Is there a reason to pay the extra $100 for this Asus model?

Also the OCZ ZT. Is that a better PSU than the Corsair HX?

The OCZ ZT has about the same power output quality of the Corsair TX series, along with the same price, but it is fully modular like the Corsair AX series. IMO, that makes it a better deal, which is why I've been recommending it.

Wow, I didn't realize that card was so overpriced on Amazon. On Newegg, it only costs $420. In that case, I'd get this version of the GTX670: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Lin...6MV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339003151&sr=8-4

Knufire, thanks for your input, sounds like a good deal. OCZ PSU is about $60 less now.

You guys are 100% that I can use 3 ports on the GTX 670 at the same time with different monitors as extended displays (not 3d vision).

As I made the mistake of opening a new thread instead of posting here let me say *sorry*.

I did make a few small changes to this order:

1. Added a WD Caviar Black for games and file storage.
2. Changed the Corsair ForceGT for the Intel 520. Both are sandforce but I often see that Intel is the more reliable drive.
3. Windows 7 Pro

Aside from that I think it's a solid well rounded build. Anything else I should consider?

Thought I would share with you guys the end result:

ow34j.jpg
T0Gcu.jpg
CiiwL.jpg
2UiEA.jpg
efxTc.jpg

It's running great! The only observation is that the ram should have been low profile (didn't find black 8x2 lp kit and reading around said the fins only get in the way for oversized air coolers so I got 8x2 with fins), turns out I had to cut 1 fin off and bend the second one back a little bit on each stick. Practically not even noticeable, however if you get the Overseer case and the H100 get the Low Profile ram!

Back