• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx560 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogwaffle2

Registered
recently upgraded to a gtx560 from a gts250. ran perfectly fine the first few days i had it. went to run bf3 tonight and everything just locks about 5 minutes in. whole system freezes and have to reboot. when i reboot right after it crashes i get a video beep code error. when i take the card out and let it cool off a bit it starts up fine again. but now it will give me a hard lock even just browsing the web. the card idles at 30c and never seen it go beyond 75c at full load. web browsing and watching videos will make it jump around 40-50c, but nothing crazy. my old gts250 runs much warmer and i can run it hot for hours no problem.

my cpu runs at a solid 40c under 40% load. never gets above 55c when gaming or at 100%. i'm fairly certain its not temperatures, because recently ive been very anal about keeping the system as cool as i can.

i have a sunbeam PSU-HUSH680-US 680w psu. the 560 needs 2 pci-e power connectors and my psu only has one, so i use the 2 molex to pci-e converter cable for the 2nd power input. i have a pretty basic understanding of power supplies.. are those 2 4 pin molex connectors giving enough power? or is the card drawing so much it freezes up the system? ive had the psu for a few years now.. not sure it was designed to handle a card with 2 power connectors.. from what i understand 680w should be enough for a 560 according to nvidia.

any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

First, download the newest Nvidia drivers 301.24 and while installing Select the 'Custom (Advanced)' option during installation, and then untick any unnecessary components. For example, if you are not using the Nvidia 3D Vision functionality - which requires specialized 3D glasses and a suitable display.

A 'Perform clean Install' check box is also available on the new installer, and if ticked will reset all Nvidia Forceware settings to default, removing any customizations you have made in the past. It's not absolutely necessary that this box be ticked, however in general I recommend ticking it to ensure that each time you install a new Forceware driver, you start with a clean slate and hence have less chance of conflicting settings from previous drivers.

Thanks peanut. I would give this a shot but the card is officially dead i think. I'm getting a 2 short beep 8 long beep post error in any PC i try to boot with the card. RMA is the next step unfortunately..

Sorry to hear that :( good luck with the RMA hopefully you get a good turn around.

evga gave me the go ahead for the RMA, but I decided to return it to best buy where i bought it. I explained everything and they let me exchange it for a new one. Bought a new corsair 700w psu too.. which has 2 pci-e power connectors instead of 1 which makes me feel better. Its running like a champ now.. ran skyrim today for about 2 hours pretty warm and no probs. I'm seriously afraid of running BF3 though because from searching around a lot of people are having the same exact problems with their gtx560s. I don't want to say that BF3 killed the other 560 i had.. but it worked fine until i started playing it.

I play bf3 for a couple of hours a day when i have free time on my two PNY 560ti's with no problem. They have made a few patches since the release that have fixed all the issues with gtx 560ti's. I play all settings on high @1920x1200 and just make 60fps. You should have no problems with your gpu from e GA they have great customer service. What CPU, mono do you have?

I play bf3 for a couple of hours a day when i have free time on my two PNY 560ti's with no problem. They have made a few patches since the release that have fixed all the issues with gtx 560ti's. I play all settings on high @1920x1200 and just make 60fps. You should have no problems with your gpu from e GA they have great customer service. What CPU, mono do you have?

q9400 at 2.66ghz and an asrock p43twins1600

I was running BF3 fine at 40 fps on high settings at 1080p before my first 560 died. First time it died I was on a 64 man server. I've read some people say that 64 player server is too much for my cpu?? I find that very hard to believe because my cpu doesn't even cap in BF3.

was reading about a conflict between BF3 and on-board Realtek audio devices. People have been getting the exact same hard lock and audio looping as I when using their on-board audio. I disabled the realtek device in bios, removed all Realtek software from my disk, and put in an old SBLive card i had. Card works fine in 7 x64 with some 3rd party drivers i found. Have yet to test BF3 multiplayer though..

Back