• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Newbie trying to get x12 on QX6700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GWExtreme

Hi all.

Please assist, I used to build pcs when I was a student but haven't invested in PCs for years and trying to get some extra speed out of my new second hand bits bits.

I recently purchased a qx6700 2.66 intel core Extreme, ga-p35-ds3r 1.1, and Crucial Ballistix BLT2CP4G3D1337DT1TX0CEU 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM.

I've read that through tweeking x12/13 can be achieved but I cant find the right balance.

I've managed to get slight increase x11 with just one step in voltage from its base which i think is 3.125 and runs error free on prime 95 for hours on end.
I've got a axe cube and 3 venom 120mm fans and it max temp in this set up is 56dc.

I've tried to apply x12 to this and stepped the voltage in step the max i went to being 1.362. All these variations have caused prime 95 to drop a core from 3 minutes to 17 mins. i also tried changing 266 to 333 with similar and sometimes non-booting results.

Has anyone got a similar set-up, and can advise the settings to successfully achieve a x12 on this. I think I have the rig but just dont know what I doing. and help in bios terms would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GW

I think you meant 1.325V, and not 3.125V... referring to the Vcore. Change the FSB to 400MHz and the multiplier to x8 = 3.2GHz, this w/ the DRAM multiplier set to 3.20B = DDR3-1280 on the 333 (G)MCH Strap. Bump the Vcore to 1.35V and manually set the four primary DRAM timings to 7-7-7-24 at 1.5V. If you decide to stick w/ the default 266MHz FSB, make sure the strap is set to 266 w/ the DRAM multiplier set to 4.00A = DDR3-1066. The nice thing about the Extreme Edition CPUs is that you can increase or decrease the multiplier without the NB FSB being affected, as the NB always uses the default multiplier... x10 in your case.

Last edited:
Thanks redduc, I tried the setting but struggled with setting the ram voltage to 1.5, Bios has DDR2/DDR3 overvoltage setting, ranging from auto and +.1 up to .7. I tried, .2/.3/.4/.5
but all drops 1 or 2 cores :(. i also tried the x12 but that also drops cores so reverted back to the x11 for the time being. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back