• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking FX-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow300

With standard heat sync and fans, whats a stable voltage/clock speed? Looking for somewhere around 3.8GHz.

Before even attempting an OC then we need to know your temps at idle and load. Please post pictures of all CPU-Z tabs and pictures of idle temps and load temps, use prime95 for about 5 min. And take pictures of your temps. Btw, it is strongly recommended to get a solid cooling solution before OCing..I reccommend the Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 evo.

Edit: We need to know your specs aswell, we reccommend setting up a siganature, go into user cp under the "forums" tab at the top, and on the left hand side, you will see the Edit Signature button, there, you can enter your info, Set it up like mine, or similiar below.

Last edited:
A lot of us use HWMonitor to check temps and system voltages. Just have it open on the desktop while you run Prime95 blend for 10-20 minutes.

Thanks for the information guys. This is just for a friend who has changed his mind about overclocking cause he doesn't want to buy a new heat sync right now. But thanks anyways, I don't know much about AMD overclocking as I'm more of an Intel guy haha

I probably wouldn't overclock an 8120 on the stock cooler. That rule stands in general for most CPUs but especially applies to these chips. Anyway depending on the chip sample 3.8-4.0 ghz should be atainable around 1.23-1.25v with LLC on its minimum setting. You want to keep the chip below 55C for max stability, though I find that with my 8120 up to about 60C is pretty much stable at those speeds.

haha yeah his "friend" lol...

if you trying to oc on a stock cooler. your asking to blow up your CPU. you should stay away from OC'ing until your understand FULLY what your trying to do. OC'ing without a cooler that can handle that kind of heat is not smart at all.

I'm dead serious. My girlfriends brother wanted help but I figured I'd ask since I'm already on this forum. And that's what I was thinking in the first place cause the FX series runs hot.

I'm dead serious. My girlfriends brother wanted help but I figured I'd ask since I'm already on this forum. And that's what I was thinking in the first place cause the FX series runs hot.

I wonder..am I the only one who thinks the FX runs decently cool? The FX 8120 runs cooler than my 955 OCd, same thermal paste and everything. Hmm, on a side note (my favorite series of words) the person who owns this chip should get on this forum so we cab convince him :p

Well you can overclock just about anything with a stock cooler if a little common sense and logic is employed. However that "they said" is just about useless.

If my memory is accurate the FX-8120 will clock itself up to 4.1Ghz when the load is right for it to do so. Now could one hammer 4.1Ghz at all times with a stock heatsink and fan assembly with all 4 modules enabled? I doubt it. 3.6 to 3.7Ghz with a stock heatsink and fan assembly? Probably. Especially if the cpu were one of these later ones, I see doing pretty darn good on low voltages.

The truth is evidenced by TESTING for speed with the amount of voltage needed for the speed and Prime 95'ing the thing to test for MAX CPU CORE TEMP that does not exceed about 57c. Almost anything can be done withIN reason.

3800, 200x19 is doable but be forwarned, 4.0 is the MAX with the stock cooler.
i can reinstall my stock cooler and run 3.8 all day long, till the room temp comes up a little, you just have to play the voltage down and keep the case airflow up.

good luck.

Back