• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

firefox laggin 6 seconds very often

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Hi again

The last 5 days I have notice that firefox has been lagging about 6seconds very often. Like every time I switch a window or click with my mouse. It being very very annoying.:bang head. I scanned my pc and its clean. Used avast, spybot and malware bytes. It lagges when watching videos, tying and just about very thing. Im puzzled why it happening. I did not install or update anything either. Rest of the pc works fine only internet with firefox.

Thanks

Did you check your internet connection and/or speeds?

yes I just got off the phone with them and they said its not on there end.

Speed test is 6mbps dl .80mbps up

I also notice firefox is using 700mb of ram and when it lagges it using 1100 mb of ram and plugin container for firefox is using 450mb of ram. What heck that seems massiveeeeeeee.

If you start Firefox in "safe mode" (you can do it through the start menu), does it have the same issue? If not, you likely have a broken addon/plugin.

I have that same issue with FF sometimes, I think it's called memory leak. It doesn't cause any lag in my system, though. When you shut down FF does it still show up in processes tab in the windows task manager? Did you try any other browsers to see if you have the same issue? If you are hard wired to the net did you check the wire?

When you shut down FF does it still show up in processes tab in the windows task manager?

Firefox 2 was the worst for that bug. Firefox 2 had the process-still-there-when-closed bug the worst, IIRC.

But seems to occur sometimes with recent versions.

And recent versions may use almost 1 GB for 2 tabs! :mad:

What version are you running? Mine definitely do not come anywhere near this and I have way more than 2 tabs open.
Yeah I have like 300MB used with 20+ tabs open. I've also configured the browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers field to 1 though so that's a major part of the low usage. Not that it really matters, as with 16GB RAM usage is largely meaningless as long as I have enough spare for Photoshop.

What version are you running? Mine definitely do not come anywhere near this and I have way more than 2 tabs open.

That was with 12.0. All of a sudden, major lag and it freezed,
IIRC and it looked like Windows was swapping like Windows 95 with 4 MB of RAM!

I have 13.0 now.

That was with 12.0. All of a sudden, major lag and it freezed,
IIRC and it looked like Windows was swapping like Windows 95 with 4 MB of RAM!

I have 13.0 now.
I'm running 12.0 on my laptop now with 14 tabs open (including at least one with flash) and it is taking 369 MiB of RAM with a near stock configuration (plus a few addons). You probably had a broken addon or plugin.

mine has been doing the same thing atwork just after it updated the other day maybe yesterday it was annoying at first but i got used to it.

I updated to the new version of ff and that took the problem away. Only thing is I really dont like the new interface.

If you are referring to the menu bar, you can disable that. I found it annoying as well.

Back