• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window Mod and EMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tecumseh

Some of the window mods I've seen are fantastic. I haven't
done one yet myself, but I have a question.

Since the cases are made of metal and tested/certified
for EMI compliance, I would suspect that most of the
big windows would fail such tests.

The question:
With big windows do you notice any interference with
radio, tv, phones or anything else?

OK, for everyone out there worried about EMI. Using this blue swirling mass of death(available at spencers), I decided to prove that EMI is not a threat. I have a feeling this puts out more EMI than anything else in the house(except maybe the microwave), saying it does have a warning label telling me to keep it more than 2 feet from any electric devices.

Well, my computer still works...
emi.jpg

Darrenct said:
OK, for everyone out there worried about EMI. Using this blue swirling mass of death(available at spencers), I decided to prove that EMI is not a threat. I have a feeling this puts out more EMI than anything else in the house(except maybe the microwave), saying it does have a warning label telling me to keep it more than 2 feet from any electric devices.

Well, my computer still works...
emi.jpg
Gah! That thing's creepy looking.

Cool though. :cool:

EMI is a danger but its more like an urban myth. EMI isn't going to pop into your case and retrace your board or fry your processor. EMI is slow, it kills things over time. The question is how much time? Thats all. I wouldn't recommend microwaving some popcorm right next to your computer window, but I also wouldn't cry because you did. Its like some human diseases. You may have it but it works slow and you'll be old and grey by the time you really notice it affecting you. :) No offense to those out there with any diseases. I just thought of that analogy off the top of my head.

isn't all your though backwards??

EMI is somethign the computer puts out. the high frequencies it operates at produce magnetic fields...which can interfere with stuff. the metal stops the emi from going outside of it and interfering with crap. so the question is, does the windows allow the computer's emf to interfere with other crap.

It is possible that it could maybe under the slightest occasion put out a signal that could interfere with an audio channel to your speakers. It's never happened to me, but I imagine that it is possible. Really, how many EMI sensetive devices do you have in your house? Most of them are shielded anyway. I know my PC doesn't interfere with my ethernet Hub sitting a couple feet away. That is probably the most sensitive thing I have...

Yea, brothernod, the EMI shielding is to keep EM from
getting out. But there is a concept in EM theory called
reciprosity. Basically it means if a transmitting and
receiving antenna are reversed nothing changes.

Has anyone experienced problems with a TV or
radio next to their windowed PC or one with
the cover off?

Tecumseh when my pc was out of its case or the side was out it would produce so may emi that i wouldn't be able to watch tv and my neighbor would complain(since they know I do all these crazy things). But if you really are scared about emi or you have a tv that doesnt have cable(or satellite) then I would put metal bug screen across your window and ground it, this is the same thing that microwaves use.

hope this helps

I once had a junk 386 that put out a lot of EM. When it was turned on all of the tvs went to static. But that also happens when you use the garbage disposal or microwave.

That 386 put out the most EMI of any computer i have ever seen.

just had 2 separate thoughts.

1) I've had my computer running naked (no sides on te case) for like 4 months now and have no interference with anything.

2) most cases are under a desk, why not do a bit of mesh on the underside of the desk to minimize the emi some... that way your not disturbing your beautiful case.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like we should be doing
window mods that look like microwave ovens. I believe
this for two main reasons:
1) To keep from interferring with other's equipment
2) Possible long-term health issues.

As we push the clock freqs ever higher both from
the factory and especially when OCing, we may
very well be doing harm to ourselves when the case
is off or with a big window mod.

This is not unlike the X-ray problem with antique
TVs and monitors. Nobody wants to soak their face
in X-rays for 4-8 hours a day. I am NOT saying
the PCs are dangerous like that, but If we keep to
Moore's Law we will have CPUs clocked in the
microwave band soon enough.

I've actually been thinking about this for my computer. What I'm gonna try is to take 2 thinner sheets of acrylic and sandwich a piece of light copper mesh between them. ground it too the case at the side and that should preserve the EMI rating and would look different. I haven't had a chance to look for materials yet. Figured that it would also look cool with some kick *** lighting schemes :D

that might look pretty kewl if you do it right.
I'd take some steel wool to the copper to get it nice and shiny and scratched up.

About EMF/EMI

My Mom got me these (IMO) new-agey devices that are supposed to counter electromagnetic fields. One is built into an alarm clock which is supposed to be good for dampening EMF's in a 2500 sq ft room. The other is a personal EMF field dampener. Its a pendant not so unlike a cpu keychain/pendant.

These are produced by a company called Clarus, or Clarus Works, not too sure. I'll have to look at the alarm clock to know for sure on the manufacturer. I wonder how/if these work...

brothernod said:
sounds like a buncha crap to me, but that's just my skeptical self.

No, you got it half wrong. Yea a load of it to us, but from
the Mom's point of view it's just love and concern for
a son. :) We can't all have high-tech Moms. :)

I can accept that :)
don't worry, ur not alone on the high-tech mom front.

mine's just learning to use a computer for work now, hehe, I try to be nice about it.:)

Back